Volvo has pulled the covers off its S60 V8 Supercar, set to fly the flag during the 2014 season for Garry Rogers Motorsport (GRM).
VPR says it’s ready for the team’s debut season in “the world’s toughest touring car series”.
“This is an historic day in the history of Volvo Car Australia,” Volvo’s Managing Director, Matt Braid said.
“As the first luxury car manufacturer to enter V8 Supercars with a factory team, we’re delighted to reveal our Volvo S60 race car to meet the challenge of the world’s toughest touring car series and strengthen the presence of the S60 model line – and the Volvo brand – here in Australia.”
Mr Braid was joined at the launch by Team Principal Garry Rogers and Polestar owner Christian Dahl, along with drivers Scott McLaughlin and Robert Dahlgren, who will race the S60 throughout the 2014 season.
“For all the GRM staff it is incredibly satisfying to see the next step of all the hard work and energy they have put into designing and building the Volvo S60 V8 Supercar over the last 12 months,” Team Principal, Garry Rogers, said.
“During this process, this same group of workers were also responsible for the preparation and running of our 2013 V8 Supercar Championship cars, so it makes me extremely proud to be surrounded by such a never-say-die group. We cannot wait to get on with the racing.”
Fans won’t have to wait long to see how the new S60 V8 Supercar stacks up against the competition, with official pre-season testing set to take place at Sydney Motorsport Park this weekend.
Volvo is no stranger to Australian Touring Car racing, with its 240T winning the 1986 championship in the hands of Kiwi steerer Robbie Francevic.
The 2014 Volvo S60 V8 Supercar will make its race debut at the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide, from February 27 – March 2.
2014 Volvo S60 V8 Supercar - Technical Information
- Vehicle - Volvo S60
- Engine - Modified Volvo B8444S (see below)
- Transmission - Control Albins ST6 6 speed sequential Transaxle with integrated spool differential
- Front suspension - Double wishbone suspension, adjustable damper and cockpit adjustable front anti-roll bar
- Rear suspension - Control independent rear suspension, adjustable damper; cockpit adjustable anti-roll bar
- Front brakes - AP Racing 6 piston caliper, 395mm ventilated discs
- Rear brakes - AP Racing 4 piston caliper, 355mm ventilated discs
- Wheels - Control Rimstock 18” x 11” forged aluminium
- Tyres - Dunlop control tyre
- Weight - 1410KG (includes driver)
- Top speed - 298+ km/h
- 0-100km/h - 3.2 seconds
- Steering - Custom rack and pinion power assisted steering
- Shocks - Ohlins TTX Dampers
- Electronics - MoTec ECU and Data Logging System
Engine Technical Information
- Block - Modified Volvo B8444S, 60 degree aluminium cylinder block
- Heads - Modified Volvo B8444S, aluminium
- Bore x Stroke - 95.5 x 87.1
- Capacity - 4989cc
- Compression - 10:1
- Power - 650bhp (estimated)
- Max revs - 7500rpm
- Induction - Naturally aspirated, eight throttle bodies
- Fuel - E85
- Liners - Cast in steel liners
- Valve train - Double overhead camshafts, direct acting tappets, chain drive
- Ignition - Volvo B8444S coil on plug
- Injection - Port injection, one injector per cylinder, injection pressure: 5.5 bar
2014 V8 Supercars Championship Season
- February 15 - sydney.com V8 Supercars Test Day, Sydney Motorsport Park
- Feb 27-Mar 2 - Clipsal 500 Adelaide
- Mar 13-16 2014 Formula 1 Australian GP, Albert Park
- March 28-30 - Tasmania 400, Symmons Plains Raceway
- April 4-6 - Winton 400, Winton Motor Raceway
- April 24-27 - ITM 500 Auckland, Pukekohe Park Raceway
- May 16-18 - Perth 400, Barbagallo Raceway
- June 20-22 - Skycity Triple Crown Darwin 500, Hidden Valley Raceway
- July 4-6 - Townsville 500, Reid Park
- Aug 1-3 - Coates Hire Ipswich 400, Queensland Raceway
- Aug 22-24 - Sydney Motorsport Park 400
- Sept 12-14 - Wilson Security Sandown 500
- Oct 9-12 - Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000, Mount Panorama
- Oct 24-26 - Armor All Gold Coast 600
- Nov 14-16 - Phillip Island 400
- Dec 5-7 - Sydney 500
- Interested in buying VOLVO S60? Visit our VOLVO S60 showroom for more information.