An announcement is still to be made, but according to Britain's Autocar magazine, Volkswagen development boss Ulrich Hackenberg has confirmed a late 2013 debut for the new Polo flagship.
A decision to introduce the Polo R is a departure from the brand's original plans, but with a World Rally Championship assault on the way, marketing opportunities may have swayed the top brass.
While the regular Polo GTI offers 132kW of power, the Polo R WRC Street concept delivered a hefty 162kW. A 0-100km/h time of around 6.0 seconds is expected.
The Polo GTI is available with a seven-speed DSG auto only, but it remains to be seen if the R will get a manual option.
Front-wheel-drive is likely to remain the only layout, but expect a mechanical limited-slip differential to also appear.
- Related News & Reviews at TMR ▼
- Polo R news | Polo news and reviews
- Volkswagen news and reviews
- Concepts | Enthusiast | Racing
- Interested in buying VOLKSWAGEN POLO? Visit our VOLKSWAGEN POLO showroom for more information.