The NSW Government has ordered the RTA to deactivate 38 of the state's 141 fixed cameras after a safety audit found the cameras had no significant effect on road safety.
The order follows the release this morning of a report from NSW Auditor-General Peter Achterstraat's office.
Mr Achterstraat said that "in general, speed cameras change driver behaviour and improve road safety," dismissing the popular complaint that cameras are merely revenue-raising 'cash cows'.
The report said that in the three years following installation of a camera, crashes and injuries surrounding the site fell by 26 percent, and fatalities by 67 percent.
“Some members of the public view speed cameras as revenue-raisers only,” Mr Achterstraat said.
“We found no evidence that revenue is a factor in determining where to locate cameras. Revenue from speed cameras reduces the longer they operate."
The safety audit recommended that the 38 cameras be reviewed further, but Roads Minister Duncan Gay has decided the cameras will instead be deactivated immediately and eventually removed.
"Under our government, gone are the days of the cameras being used for cash cows, as they were under the previous government," Mr Gay said.
"For some camera locations, the number of crashes did not drop, so we need to be looking at other measures for these sites."
Mr Gay said the removal of the cameras will cost the State Government around $10 million in lost revenue.
The 38 cameras to be removed are listed below.
- Newcastle Road – Lambton
- Bangalow Road – Clunes
- New England Highway – Murrurundi
- New England Highway – Tilbuster
- New England Highway – Quirindi
- M4 Motorway – Wentworthville/Greystanes
- Brunswick Valley Way – Ocean Shores
- Delhi Road – Macquarie Park
- Eastern Arterial Road – Gordon
- Princes Highway – Broughton
- New England Highway – Scone
- Princes Highway – Nowra
- New England Highway Llangothlin
- Princes Highway – Angledale
- Pacific Highway – Kundabung
- Pacific Highway – Urunga
- Woy Woy Road – Kariong
- Eastern Valley Way – Nth Willoughby
- Hume Highway - Burwood
- Bolong Road – Shoalhaven Heads
- Warringah Road – Frenchs Forest
- Manns Road – West Gosford
- General Holmes Drive – Botany
- Spit Road – Beauty Point/The Spit
- Bruxner Highway – Alstonville
- Hume Highway – Coolac
- Hume Highway – Tarcutta
- Pacific Highway – Banora Point
- Pacific Highway -Herons Creek
- Pacific Highway – Bundagen
- President Avenue – Gymea
- Carlingford Road – Epping
- Blackwall Road – Woy Woy North
- Ocean Beach Road – Woy Woy
- Balgownie Road – Fairy Meadow
- Sherwood Road – Merrylands West
- Central Coast Highway – Bateau Bay
- Great Western Highway - Parramatta