US mag Car and Driver reports that the model will revive the name, which was last applied to the 1966-69 generation Alfa Romeo Spider.
As confirmed earlier this year, the model will utilise the next-generation MX-5’s chassis, mixed with an Alfa-specific body design and mechanicals.
The report suggests that these mechanicals are likely to include the Alfa Romeo 1742cc turbo four-cylinder engine, which is also on the cards for the upcoming 4C flagship sportscar.
A version of this engine currently powers the front-wheel-drive Giulietta QV hot hatch, where it produces a healthy 173kW and 340Nm.
Transmission choices are likely to include both six-speed H-pattern manual and a longitudinally-mounted version of the Alfa Romeo seven-speed dual-clutch automatic.
A launch date is still up in the air, but not expected until the next-generation MX-5 arrives in 2014.
- Related News & Reviews at TMR ▼
- MX-5 news and reviews | Alfa Romeo Spider news and reviews
- Mazda news and reviews | Alfa Romeo news and reviews
- Sports Cars news and reviews | Lifestyle news and reviews
- Interested in buying MAZDA MX-5? Visit our MAZDA MX-5 showroom for more information.