3 Comments
Mercedes-Benz Australia Has High Hopes For 2013 A-Class Range Photo:
2013_mercedes_benz_a_250_launch_review_06 Photo: tmr
2013_mercedes_benz_a_250_launch_review_01 Photo: tmr
2013_mercedes_benz_a_250_launch_review_14 Photo: tmr
2013_mercedes_benz_a_250_launch_review_13 Photo: tmr
2013_mercedes_benz_a_250_launch_review_04 Photo: tmr
2013_mercedes_benz_a_250_launch_review_09 Photo: tmr
2013_mercedes_benz_a_250_launch_review_12 Photo: tmr
2013_mercedes_benz_a_250_launch_review_03 Photo: tmr
img_0956 Photo: tmr
2013_mercedes_benz_a_250_launch_review_15 Photo: tmr
2013_mercedes_benz_a_250_launch_review_05 Photo: tmr
2013_mercedes_benz_a_250_launch_review_07 Photo: tmr
2013_mercedes_benz_a_250_launch_review_10 Photo: tmr
2013_mercedes_benz_a_250_launch_review_02 Photo: tmr
2013_mercedes_benz_a_250_launch_review_08 Photo: tmr
2013_mercedes_benz_a_250_launch_review_11 Photo: tmr
 
 
Tony O'Kane | Feb, 09 2013 | 3 Comments

Mercedes-Benz Australia says the rebirth of the A-Class range could see the brand's new entry-level model challenge the C-Class for outright sales volume.

On sale nationally from March 1, Mercedes-Benz also expects the A-Class to win a lot of conquest customers from other brands.

Currently, around 60 percent of A-Class pre-orders are from customers that are new to Mercedes-Benz. Of the remaining 40 percent, a number of them are previous C-Class owners.

Roughly 50 percent of pre-orders are for the A 250 Sport, and according to Robert Leigh, Project Manager for A, B and C-Class, the current order bank is for hundreds of vehicles - possibly over a thousand by the time the car officially goes on sale.

Importantly, the company's local arm is expecting no constraints on supply - at least initially.

“Supply is looking pretty good for this year, actually, so we’re confident we should be able to satisfy customer pre-orders,” said Mr. Leigh.

Jerry Stamoulis, Manager of Corporate Communications, added:

“We’re not communicating specific numbers, but we’re feeling a little bit better about our supply compared to last year.

“We’ve worked with the factory to get some volume off other markets, and so there will be a healthy supply over the next six months. But depending on demand [beyond that], that’s another story.”

While the A 250 Sport hot hatch is the most popular variant with pre-order customers, Mercedes-Benz Australia expects the A 200 petrol to become the volume seller in the long term.

Priced at $40,900 before on-roads, the A 200 competes with the $39,993 BMW 116i, the $39,990 Lexus CT 200h Prestige and the $41,200 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI.

The Mercedes and Lexus offerings are the only variants to offer an automatic transmission as standard, while the A 200, though slightly more expensive, offers more standard equipment than the CT 200h.

The A 180 undercuts all of its rivals by a significant margin, with a retail price of just $35,600.

Mercedes-Benz concedes that the new A-Class has the potential to steal some sales away from the C-Class, particularly as the current generation C-Class approaches the end of its lifespan.

“I think once we see CLA arrive, there might be some customers who may have considered a C-Class [move to CLA],” Mr Stamoulis said.

“The other issue we have is that C-Class is, over the next two years, being replaced. So as C-Class comes to the end of its life... we might see A and CLA combined overtake C-Class."

"But it’s hard to say when that could actually happen.”

However, the arrival of the A-Class is not expected to make much of a dent in B-Class volume.

“We can’t get enough of B-Class, right now,” Mr Stamoulis said. “We see them as different customers. The space that a B-Class offers, you can’t compare that to an A-Class.

“There is a substantial difference between the two.”

Later in the year, the A-Class line-up will expand from four cars to five, when the hi-po A 45 AMG joins the range in August.

With 265kW and 450Nm being produced by a turbocharged 2.0 litre petrol inline four and a sophisticated AWD drivetrain and AMG-designed front and rear suspension, the A 45 AMG promises to be the ultimate luxury hot hatch.

For now, Mercedes-Benz is staying quiet on how it will price the A 45. However, Mr Stamoulis confirmed that the price will be well under $100,000.

“We’re talking around the $80,000 mark [for A45],” Mr Stamoulis said.

 

Pricing

  • 2013 A 180 1.6 petrol - $35,600
  • 2013 A 200 1.6 petrol - $40,900
  • 2013 A 200 CDI 1.8 diesel - $40,900
  • 2013 A 250 2.0 litre petrol - $49,900

 
TMR Comments
2 Comments

Finance Calculator

Repayment is : $

Latest Comments
 
The size of your tyre is located on the sidewall of your tyre.
It will be similar to the sample below.