A new 'Series II' update to Kia’s Sportage SUV hit Australian showrooms today, arriving this month from Kia's Slovakian plant in Europe.
The Sportage Series II kicks off at $25,490 (plus on-roads) and, although largely identical to the 'Series I', the SUV now offers a host of new features.
There are new HID headlamps up front, along with static cornering lamps. Aero-blade wipers are now standard, along with a front-wiper de-icer.
The interior gets partial-leather seat trim, a lockable glove-box and a rear seat warmer, while an Active ECO mode has now been fitted to diesel automatic models.
At the rear, the reflector cluster now incorporates rear fog-lamps and the lower bumper design has been revised. Naturally, a Series II badge has also been added.
Kia Australia Chief Operating Office, Tony Barlow, said the switch to European production will help reduce the Sportage's long-running supply problems.
“Really, the only problem we have had since the arrival of the Sportage is getting enough to meet demand,” Mr Barlow said.
“The opportunity to have consistent supply by taking production from Europe makes perfect sense and will benefit customers and dealers alike.”
“While this is the first European-built Kia on the market in Australia, it will not be the last with the exciting pro_cee’d GT coming from the same production facility early next year.”
Kia joins partner Hyundai in adding European supply, with the ix35 SE (Special Edition) models also sourced there.
The Sportage Series II will be available in three trim levels; Si, SLi and Platinum. The two-wheel-drive Si will be available in both manual and automatic, while the SLi and Platinum will be all-wheel-drive automatics only.
A 122kW/197Nm 2.0 litre petrol engine is available in all three grades, while the familiar 135kW/392Nm 2.0 litre diesel is available in the SLi and Platinum models.
The Series I 2.4 litre petrol engine has been deleted from the range.
Pricing (excludes on-road costs)
- Kia Sportage Series II Si petrol: 2WD, five-speed manual $25,490
- Kia Sportage Series II Si petrol: 2WD, six-speed automatic, $27,490
- Kia Sportage Series II SLi petrol: 4WD, six-speed automatic, $31,990
- Kia Sportage Series II SLi diesel: 4WD, six-speed automatic, $35,490
- Kia Sportage Series II Platinum petrol: 4WD, six-speed automatic, $36,490
- Kia Sportage Series II Platinum diesel: 4WD, six-speed automatic, $39,990
- Interested in buying KIA SPORTAGE? Visit our KIA SPORTAGE showroom for more information.