Citroen importer Sime Darby Automotive has confirmed pricing for the Citroen C4 Cactus range today, with the funky French five-door set to go on sale early next year with an entry price of $26,990.
True to its word, the company also confirmed that the range will top out just shy of $30k. The diesel automatic model will retail for $29,990.
Only one specification level will be offered with a choice of a manual petrol or an automatic diesel powertrain. Both take power to the front wheels, despite the Cactus' rugged styling suggesting all-paw underpinnings.
And with the Peugeot 208-sourced 1.2 litre turbo petrol making just 81kW of power and 205Nm, it's no rocketship. The 68kW/230Nm 1.6 litre diesel isn't much gruntier, though its six-speed auto may appeal to more buyers.
But rather than power and torque, the Cactus' appeal is expected to lie in its extensive customisability and distinctive design.
According to Citroen Australia, buyers who order their car before the end of the year will be able to choose from 23,184 potential colour/option/trim configurations, meaning most Cactuses (Cacti?) brought into the country will likely be completely unique.
The range will be narrowed down in 2016, however, with Sime Darby locking in variants based on which colours and options proved most popular in the initial allocation.
Thus far the company has sold 25 percent of its initial allocation of cars, with yellow and aqua being the most popular exterior colours.
Here's the full list of standard features:
- 7” touch screen display with Satellite Navigation
- Digital radio tuner, six speakers, USB audio input
- Reverse camera with rear parking sensors
- Bluetooth phone/audio connectivity
- Dusk-sensing headlamps, rain-sensing wipers
- Climate control air conditioning
- Cruise control/speed limiter
- Fog lamps
- 17-inch two-tone alloy wheels
- Tyre pressure monitors
- ABS, EBD, brake assist, traction control, stability control
- Six airbags
- Leather-upholstered steering wheel
- Height adjustable driver’s seat
- Power front windows, pop-out rear windows
- Central locking
- Centre console and armrest with storage
- Ventilated disc brakes front and drum brakes rear
- "Top box" 8.5L storage compartment
- 12 volt power outlet
- 60/40 split rear seats
- Paddle shifters (diesel only)
- "Aircraft style" handbrake (diesel only)
Available options include a glass panoramic sunroof and different alloy wheel designs, as well as four different colours for the rubberized plastic "Airbump" side cladding.
Retail pricing is as follows. The 2016 Citroen C4 Cactus is available to order now, with deliveries set to begin in the first quarter of next year.
- Cactus 1.2 petrol manual: $26,990
- Cactus 1.6 diesel automatic: $29,990
Pricing does not include dealer delivery, registration or other on-road costs, unless otherwise stated.
MORE: Citroen News and Reviews