Once again the 2008 WPS Bathurst Motor Festival seems to have come and gone with nary a whisper, which is a real shame as the 12 hour showroom enduro is arguably one of the more interesting motor racing events in this country.
Almost 30,000 enthusiasts attended the third WPS Bathurst Motor Festival last weekend, with the headline event being the WPS Bathurst 12 Hour.
The WPS Bathurst 12 hour is a long-distance endurance event of 12 hours and approximately 1580 kilometres, around the famous Mt Panorama circuit. The really interesting part of this race is that the cars are virtually showroom stock with only limited changes allowed, mainly to ensure they are as safe as possible for the drivers.
This years event saw numerous lead changes, enough incidents to see the safety car brought out on seven occasions and one spectacular accident featuring the number 23 Mazda3 MPS being driven by Len Cave.
The event finished with the Mitsubishi EVO IX of Damien White, Graham Alexander and Rod Salmon taking the checkered flag followed by the VIP Petfoods EVO IX entry driven by TV personality Grant Denyer.
?What a great outcome for the third WPS Bathurst Motor Festival - what an exciting finish to three days of action. We had nearly 30,000 people through the gates over the three days, and I was really pleased to see the reactions of the crowd today to the action happening on-track. We can?t wait to do it all again next year, we will definitely be back and a date for 2009 will be announced shortly,? said Event Director James O?Brien
Race fans will be able to watch three hours of highlights from the 2008 WPS Bathurst 12 Hour on Channel Seven, this Saturday the 16th of February from 2.00pm.
WPS Bathurst 12 Hour ? Top Ten Outright
1. D. White/G. Alexander/R. Salmon (Mitsubishi EVO IX)
2. G. Denyer/T. Quinn/K. Quinn (Mitsubishi EVO IX)
3. C. Baird/P.Morris/G. Holt (BMW 335i)
4. B. Morcom/S. Owen/L. Cranbrook (BMW335i)
5. M. Notaras/Des Wall/David Wall/T, Symonds (Mitsubishi EVO IX GSR)
6. L. Searle/P. Kelly (BMW 130)
7. M. O?Connor/A. Fisher/R. Buttrose (Lotus Exige)
8. D. Schulz/A. Knight/J. Winslow (Subaru WRX STi)
9. B. Walden/G. Walden/M. Auld (Holden Commodore VY)
10. K. Kratzman/I. Tulloch/B. Collins (Subaru WRX Sti)