Volkswagen has added an eight-speed automatic transmission to its Australian Amarok line-up, which is also joined by a new single-cab model this week.
The eight-speed ZF auto is available exclusively with the new dual-cab TDI420 revealed internationally in September, entering as the most powerful model in the range.
8-Speed Auto TDI420 Dual-Cab
With 132kW and 420Nm on tap, the twin-turbo Amarok TDI420 offers 12kW and 20Nm more than the TDI400 variant, which is the toughest model available with a manual transmission.
The auto's eighth-gear is configured as a fuel-saving overdrive gear, while the first gear is for off-road use, or for pulling away when towing.
Volkswagen says that the short first gear means there is no need for a low-range transfer case. (Watch for TMR's launch review this week.) All dual-cab automatics feature the TDI420 engine, with a Torsen centre differential.
Fuel consumption for the TDI420 is listed at 8.3 l/100km. The new engine and transmission combo offers a braked towing limit of 3000kg, with 300kg of downball weight.
In Ultimate trim, the TDI420 features standard leather seats, 19-inch ‘Alstaro’ alloy wheels, side steps and stainless steel sports bars.
The local Amarok range is also joined by a single-cab body.
With the same length and wheelbase as the dual-cab models, the single-cab offers a 2205mm long cargo bed - 650mm longer than the dual-cab, but shorter than the single-cab Ranger and Triton.
The 1.22m loading gap between the wheel arches - 83mm wider than in the Ranger - remains unchanged, making for a total load area of 3.57m2.
Depending on the options, single-cab models list payload capabilities between 1174kg and 1394kg.
The single-cab is available with the same manual-equipped engines offered with the existing dual-cab range, including the TSI300, TDI340 and TDI400 options.
Buyers can choose rear-wheel-drive or selectable 4Motion four-wheel-drive with low range (TDI400 only). Each is coupled to a six-speed manual transmission.
In rear-wheel-drive TDI340 form, the single-cab Amarok lists fuel figures of 7.3 l/100km, while the TDI400 lists 7.8 l/100km.
Standard features for entry-level models include 16-inch steel wheels, remote central locking, auto air conditioning, MP3-compatible CD audio, power windows and, with dual-cabs, a folding rear bench.
There is also plastic-coated sprayable floors, lit load areas, heated electric side mirrors and unpainted bumpers, door handles and mirrors.
The 4Motion four-wheel-drive models pick up cruise control, Bluetooth connectivity and a multi-function steering wheel, joining the underbody guards and mechanical rear diff.
Trendline models offer 4Motion selectable four-wheel-drive, adding 16-inch alloy wheels, a lockable tailgate, external 12V power point, body-coloured handles, mirrors and front bumper, a black rear bumper and fog lights up front.
These models also get four-speaker audio (up from two in the entry models), a trip computer, underseat storage, map lights, carpeted floor, upgraded fabric trim, leather gear knob and handbrake, and a pair of 12V power points.
Highline models add 17-inch alloys and wheel arch flares, a sports bar in the back, side steps and a chrome rear bumper, along with tinted rear windows and chrome highlights.
Inside, there's more chrome highlights, dual-zone climate control, six-speaker touch-screen audio and rear parking sensors.
Finally, the Ultimate models add the choice of selectable 4Motion or permanent four-wheel-drive, along with 19-inch alloys, leather trim, heated front seats and silver highlights to the front end of the underbody protector.
Features here include offroad-ready ABS and ESP, along with airbags for driver and front passenger on all models.
The single-cab also gets side and thorax airbags as standard, mirroring the dual-cab kit.
Height-adjustable head restraints are standard, along with three-point seat belts at all points.
There ae belt tensioners up front, and the driver's seat gets visual and acoustic belt warnings.
- TSI300 4x2 cab-chassis - $24,490
- TSI300 4x2 ute - $25,990
- TDI340 4x2 cab-chassis - $27,490
- TDI340 4x2 ute - $28,990
- TDI400 4x4 cab-chassis - $35,490
- TDI400 4x4 ute - $36,990
- TDI340 4x2 cab-chassis - $30,490
- TSI300 4x2 cab-chassis - $31,090
- TDI340 4x2 ute - $31,990
- TDI400 4x2 cab-chassis - $32,490
- TSI300 4x2 ute - $32,590
- TDI400 4x2 ute - $33,990
- TDI400 4x4 cab-chassis - $41,490
- TDI400 4x4 ute - $42,990
- TDI420 4x4 cab-chassis auto - $44,490
- Trendline TDI400 4x4 cab-chassis - $44,490
- TDI420 4x4 ute auto - $45,990
- Trendline TDI400 4x4 ute - $45,990
- Trendline TDI420 4x4 cab-chassis auto - $47,490
- Trendline TDI420 4x4 ute auto - $48,990
- Highline TDI400 4x4 ute - $50,990
- Highline TDI420 4x4 ute auto - $53,990
- Ultimate TDI400 4x4 ute - $58,990
- Ultimate TDI420 4x4 ute auto - $61,490
Note: Above prices exclude on-road costs.
- Metallic Paint - $490
- Pearl Effect Paint - $490
- Rear Differential Lock (2WD only) - $790
- Heated Front Seats (Ultimate only) - $590
- Park Distance Control – Rear ( Trendline only) - $590
- Cruise Control with Multifunction Display (2WD only) - $590
- 16” Alloy wheels “Taruma” (Amarok) - $990
- 17” Alloy wheels “Aldo” ( Trendline) - $1,490
- 18” Alloy wheels “Durban” ( Trendline) - $2,490
- Related News & Reviews at TMR ▼
- Amarok news and reviews | VW news and reviews
- Pickup news and reviews
- Interested in buying VOLKSWAGEN AMAROK? Visit our VOLKSWAGEN AMAROK showroom for more information.