A new, value-led Passat arrives in Australia this week with more powerful engines, increased standard equipment, added safety equipment, and most importantly, a starting price $4000 less than the model it replaces.
The new model range offers two petrol powered variants, and a range-topping diesel.
Volkswagen’s R-line dress up kit is also available as an option on some variants giving the Passat a more menacing styling upgrade, and enhanced handling package.
The new Passat offers three equipment lines, starting with the entry level 132TSI which comes loaded with standard features such as 17-inch alloy wheels, three-zone climate control, LED tail-lights, multi-adjustable ergoComfort driver’s sear, and 6.5 inch touchscreen with satellite navigation.
Moving up to the mid-grade 132TSI Comfortline adds leather seat trim, adaptive cruise control, an 8.0 inch touchscreen with 10GB hard drive, and adds safety equipment including Front Assist with City Emergency Braking, Lane Assist, and Side Assist.
In the top-spec 140TDI Highline, seat trim is upgraded to Nappa leather, while the exterior gains additional chrome trim and tinted ‘premium’ LED tail lights, and wheels upsize to 18-inch alloys
- Cloth seat trim
- Heat-insulating glass
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Three-zone climate control
- Cruise control with speed limiter
- Driver fatigue detection
- Front and rear park sensors
- Rear view camera
- Dusk-sensing halogen headlights
- LED tail lights
- Multi-function trip computer
- Silver Diamond interior inserts
- Analogue clock in dashboard
- Leather-trimmed steering wheel and gear knob
- Auto-dimming interior mirror
- Power adjustable, heated exterior mirrors
- ‘ergoComfort’ driver’s seat with cushion tilt and depth adjustment, electric backrest and four-way lumbar
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Discover Meda 6.5-inch touchscreen with satellite navigation, AM/FM radio, CD player, 2xSD card slots
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity
- Bluetooth phone and media connectivity
- eight speaker audio
- Nine airbags
- ABS brakes with electronic brakeforce distribution and brake assist
- Front seatbelts with pretensioners and load limiters
- rear outboard seatbelts with pretensioners
- Stability and traction control
- 17-inch alloy wheels
132TSI Comfortline (in addition to 132TSI)
- Vienna leather seat trim
- Powered tailgate (wagon)
- Sports front seats with seat heaters
- proximity key with push-button start
- Voice commands for navigation and telephone
- Discover Pro 8.0 inch touchscreen with 10GB hard drive
- Adaptive cruise control
- Rear traffic alert
- Front assist with city emergency braking
- Lane departure warning and blind spot monitoring
140TDI Highline (in addition to 132TSI Comfortline)
- Nappa leather seat trim
- Alarm system
- Premium LED tail lights
- Chrome trimmed lower body and bumper mouldings
- Driving profile selection
- Brushed aluminium interior inserts
- Colour multi-function display in instrument cluster
Power for the 132TSI and 132TSI Comfortline fromes from a turbocharged 1.8 litre four-cylinder petrol engine that offers 132kW of power between 5100 and 6200rpm, and 250Nm of torque between 1250 and 5000rpm.
Fuel consumption is rated at 6.0 l/100km for both sedan and wagon, while the 0-100km/h sprint takes 7.9 seconds in the sedan and 8.1 seconds in the wagon.
The sole transmission offered with the 1.8 litre petrol engine is a seven-speed DSG automatic, with front-wheel-drive.
Those looking for a diesel powertrain have to shift up to the 140TSI Highline, powered by a 2.0 litre turbo-diesel that generates 140kW of power between 3500 and 4000rpm, and 400Nm of torque from 1750 to 3000rpm.
Mated to six-speed DSG automatic, the diesel drinks 4.8 l/100km, and can muster a 0-100 time of 7.7 seconds as a sedan or 7.9 seconds as a wagon.
All models come with engine start-stop and regenerative braking to help ease fuel consumption.
132TSI sedan $34,990
132TSI wagon $36,990
132TSI Comfortline sedan $39,990
132TSI Comfortline wagon $41,990
140TDI Highline sedan $45,990
140TDI Highline wagon $47,990
Metallic paint $700
Driver assistance package - 132TSI $1,800
Luxury package - Comfortline and Highline $3500
R-Line package - Comfortline $3000
R-Line package - Highline $2500