Volkswagen Australia will equip nearly all of its passenger cars with a reversing camera as standard from the 2016 model year onward, with the Multivan to be the only model (excluding VW's commercial vehicle range) not be equipped with a camera from the base grade up.
New connectivity tech will also be applied across much of the range, with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and MirrorLink smartphone mirroring systems to become standard on the Polo, Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Scirocco R and Tiguan.
The Polo, Jetta and Golf also receive a new 6.5-inch touchscreen as the standard infotainment interface, which replaces the existing 5.8-inch display (5.0 inches in the Polo).
The 6.5-inch display is available in two guises, with higher-spec models (Comfortline and up in the Golf and Jetta ranges, as well as Tiguan R-Line) getting the Discover Media system with integrated sat-nav.
The Scirocco R gets the Discover Media infotainment system as standard too, which replaces the old RNS510 unit. The same system is available as a cost option for the Beetle.
It's not just infotainment and cameras that get a rejig for 2016 though. Buyers of the Polo GTI can now enjoy the Sport Select electronically adjustable dampers, which also changes steering, sound actuator and accelerator response at the press of a button.
Golf models equipped with the 1.4 TSI engine also gain a slight increase in power, ranging from 2kW for the 92TSI and 7kW for the 110TSI. Those models replace the Golf 90TSI and 103TSI respectively.
Meanwhile, the entry-level Golf Wagon 92 TSI has been dropped from the range, leaving the Golf Wagon 92 TSI Trendline as the new base model. There are no changes to the Passat's specification, though an updated model is due later this year.
According to VW Australia, these updates represent "the biggest model year update in the local company’s history", and are met with realigned pricing. Price changes for affected models are detailed below, and apply to all new orders placed this month.
- Polo 66TSI Trendline: $16,990 (+$500)
- Polo 81TSI Comfortline: $18490 (-$100)
- Polo GTI: $27,490 (no change)
- Golf 92TSI: $22,490 (+$700)
- Golf 92TSI Trendline: $23,990 (new model)
- Golf 92TSI Comfortline (auto only): $27,990 (-$150)
- Golf 110TSI Highline: $32,990 (+$200)
- Golf 110TDI Highline: $35,490 (-$200
- Golf Wagon 92TSI Trendline: $27,990 (new model)
- Golf Wagon 92TSI Comfortline: $29,490 (-$200)
- Golf Wagon 110TSI Highline: $34,490 (+$150)
- Golf Wagon 110TDI Highline: $36,990 (+$150
- Golf GTI: $40,990 (-$1000)
- Golf GTI Performance: $46,490 (-$2000)
- Golf R: $52,740 (no change)
- Scirocco R: $45,990 (no change)
- Beetle: $31,390 (+$600)
- Jetta 118TSI Trendline: $22,990 (+$200)
- Jetta 118TSI Comfortline: $29,990 (no change)
- Jetta 118TSI Highline: $33,990 (no change)
- Jetta 103TDI Highline: $36,490 (no change)
- Jetta 155TSI Highline Sport: $39,990 (no change)
- Tiguan 118TSI: $28,990 (no change)
- Tiguan 132TSI: $36,990 (no change)
- Tiguan 130TDI: $39,990 (no change)
- Tiguan 155TSI R-Line: $44,990 (no change)
- Interested in buying VOLKSWAGEN ? Visit our VOLKSWAGEN showroom for more information.