Victoria's point-to-point speed cameras on the Hume Highway will remain off for the foreseeable future, the State Government confirmed today.
A final decision on the fate of the cameras is to be held until the Auditor-General's office has completed its review of the state's safety camera program. The report is expected to be handed down in September.
The cameras, which were introduced in 2007, were switched off last October after it was revealed that nine incorrect speeding penalties were issued to motorists.
One case saw a motorist served with an impoundment notice after the camera system determined that her Mazda2 had been travelling at 154km/h in a 110km/h zone on the Hume Highway.
A $130,000 review by accounting firm Deloitte was commissioned into the operation of the cameras with the costs covered largely by fines against camera operator Redflex. No additional incorrect infringements have been found beyond the original nine.
NSW Speed Zones Under Review
The New South Wales Government has announced the commencement of its audit of the state's speed zones, calling on all communities to have their say on local speed limits.
NSW Roads Minister Duncan Gay said that the audit is focused on "getting the balance right" between appropriate speeds for the road conditions, and keeping speed limit changes to a minimum.
“This will make it safer and simpler for motorists to stick to the speed limit," Mr Gay said.
“The audit immediately will start reviewing stretches of road where there are a number of speed zone changes and identify what changes can be made."
Included in this initial review are stretches on the;
- Newell Highway;
- New England Highway;
- Princes Highway;
- King Georges Road;
- Great Western Highway;
- Bucketts Way; and
- Various local roads in Western Sydney
Mr Gay said a special website with an online feedback facility was currently being developed to allow the public to comment on speed zones.
“The RTA website will be up and running from July 19 and motorists will be invited to nominate the roads where speed limits and signs need to be changed – without putting safety at risk,” he said.
The website will allow motorists to submit complaints about the worst speed limits, giving the RTA a stronger impression of which areas need the most attention.
The top 100 roads, nominated by motorists, will be reviewed and this will be completed by 31 March next year.
A new policy will also be established, ensuring simpler guidelines for setting speed limits.
Among the options under consideration is the elimination of 70km/h and 90km/h zones, and introducing a minimum length for speed zones, saving motorists from constantly adjusting their speed over short distances.
- Interested in buying ? Visit our showroom for more information.