Before this past weekend, Victoria was on track for a record-low road toll, with the number of fatalities sitting at 200 - one less than for the same period last year.
Two road deaths over the weekend have seen the toll climb to 203, while last year's toll for the same period remained unchanged at 201.
The first death, a female driver, occurred east of Melbourne on Saturday in Langwarrin. The circumstances of the accident are unclear, although police believe the driver may have lost control of her vehicle.
The second fatality was a male motorcyclist, who collided with a vehicle pulling out from a car park in East Melbourne. It is unclear if the rider was speeding or if the car driver was at fault.
“We have said before and we’ll say again, road safety is not a part time job – it requires the full attention of every road user, all the time,” TAC Acting CEO Tracey Slatter said.
“Ultimately, the entire community carries the burden of road trauma and it is up to individuals to reduce their risks."
The deaths come after the state recorded its lowest-ever August toll.
An analysis of August fatalities shows that 16 people were killed in 15 crashes, including four drivers, two passengers and 10 pedestrians.
It was also the highest number of pedestrian deaths recorded in one month since February 2006, and four above the 24-year average.
Seven pedestrians were killed in metropolitan Melbourne, seven were female, and seven were aged under 40.
The overall number of pedestrian deaths this year is 39, compared to 27 at the same time last year and five more than the five-year average, 34.
“Last year 53 people were killed during September and October and we must do all we can to prevent that senseless loss of life this year,” Ms Slatter said.
“It is also important to remember that each day about 40 people are injured in transport accidents – all of which are preventable.”