Not since February has the Mazda3 topped the sales charts in Australia, with the Corolla's monthly successes chipping away at the 3's lead.
The Corolla hit the front for overall sales in July, holding that lead for the past six months running.
Mazda won't be yielding anytime soon, however: the 3's 4014 September sales, against 3893 for the Corolla, sees the year-to-date deficit to just 23 sales.
This could be good news for consumers. With neither carmaker likely to roll over on the chance for top spot at year's end, dealers will likely bargain hard for the remainder of 2014.
No such bargaining required for the Toyota HiLux however, which continued as the nation’s top selling pickup in September with 3430 sales.
But it’s below the Triton that the real story of September can be seen with Hyundai’s ix35 small SUV breaking into the top-ten.
Hyundai’s ix35 is miles ahead in the small SUV segment, with 1801 sales in September and 13,755 for the year-to-date.
And it’s not the only seller in the segment, with strong showings last month from the Subaru XV (985), the combined Nissan Qashqai and run-out Dualis (909) and the Mitsubishi ASX - which also broke the 1000-barrier on 1022 sales.
It’s worth examining the large car segment below $70,000, with several new models either on-sale or expected to arrive soon.
Nothing can get near the Holden VF Commodore, which has been a consistent top-five seller in Australia all year (and pretty much since its release).
But the recent arrival of the updated and competitively-priced Skoda Superb, along with Ford’s new FG X Falcon and the Peugeot 508 early next year might at least put a dent in the sales tally of Holden’s segment leader.
Time will tell…
Top 10 Selling Brands - September 2014
- Toyota - 17,880 sales - (up 2.2 percent)
- Mazda - 9500 - (up 24.8 percent)
- Hyundai - 8804 - (no change)
- Holden - 8551 - (down 11.1 percent)
- Ford - 6227 - (down 17 percent)
- Mitsubishi - 6066 - (up 1.2 percent)
- Nissan - 5484 - (down 1.3 percent)
- Volkswagen - 4467 - (no change)
- Subaru - 3204 - (up 16.4 percent)
- Jeep - 2937 - (up 43.4 percent)
Top 10 Selling Model - September 2014
- Mazda3 - 4014 sales - (33,083 sales year-to-date)
- Toyota Corolla - 3893 - (33,106)
- Toyota HiLux - 3430 - (28,648)
- Holden Commodore - 2616 - (23,784)
- Hyundai i30 - 2539 - (23,316)
- Ford Ranger - 2446 - (20,134)
- Toyota Camry - 2173 - (15,781)
- Mazda CX-5 - 2093 - (16,643)
- Mitsubishi Triton - 2029 - (16,867)
- Hyundai ix35 - 1802 - (13,755)
- Interested in buying MAZDA ? Visit our MAZDA showroom for more information.