The Australian new-car market continued its downward slide in October, easing 1.5 percent on the same month last year.
Four carmakers in the top-five saw fewer cars leave dealer’s lots than during October last year, with Holden suffering the biggest downturn at 28.4 percent.
But while market-leader Toyota also saw sales down 4.1 percent on the same month last year, the Japanese carmaker sold more than twice as many cars as the next best.
In fact, if Toyota had sold just half of its October tally - 8691 cars - it would still have beaten second-placed Hyundai’s total of 8401.
Mazda’s 3 tightened the gap from Corolla last month to just 23 sales for the year, but was 891 units behind the Toyota in October.
With two surveys remaining in 2014, the Corolla now leads the Mazda3 by 914 sales.
While the top-five carmakers for October were down on the same month last year, the rest of the top-ten contained a few makes on the market-rebound and another in relatively new territory.
Nissan improved 8.9 percent on October last year to finish sixth, while ninth-placed Subaru was up 40 percent.
The SUV market was up 9.7 percent on the same month last year, and up 14,551 sales on the year-to-date figure.
Yet only one SUV - Mazda’s CX-5 - cracked the top-ten. So where are the rest?
Several models can be found just outside the top-ten, led by the Toyota Rav4 in 11th with 12 fewer sales than the Mazda.
Every passenger car segment was down last month, except medium-sized models.
Top 10 Selling Brands - October 2014
- Toyota - 17,382 sales - (down 4.1 percent)
- Hyundai - 8401 - (up 3.3 percent)
- Holden - 7542 - (down 28.4 percent)
- Mazda - 6880 - (down 13.6 percent)
- Ford - 6337 - (down 15.3 percent)
- Nissan - 5759 - (up 8.9 percent)
- Mitsubishi - 5115 - (up 0.9 percent)
- Volkswagen - 4764 - (down 3.0 percent)
- Subaru - 4003 - (up 40.0 percent)
- Mercedes-Benz - 3150 - (up 39.3 percent)
Top 10 Selling Models - October 2014
- Toyota Corolla - 3819 - (36,925 sales year-to-date)
- Toyota HiLux - 3228 - (31,876)
- Mazda3 - 2928 sales - (36,011)
- Hyundai i30 - 2475 - (25,791)
- Ford Ranger - 2405 - (22,539)
- Holden Commodore - 2210 - (25,994)
- Toyota Camry - 1908 - (17,689)
- Mitsubishi Triton - 1787 - (18,654)
- Volkswagen Golf - 1755 - (16,157)
- Mazda CX-5 - 1594 - (18,237)
- Interested in buying MAZDA ? Visit our MAZDA showroom for more information.