The market was down 5.5 percent on August last year and 2.5 percent year-to-date on 2013 sales, currently sitting on a grand total of 737,975 for 2014; with four months remaining.
While sales figures are down, some small comfort for carmakers can be had when considering August 2014 had one less selling day than August 2013.
Whether the market will continue its downward slide as the year plays out is unclear, but Australia is still on track to pass the one million-sales mark in the calendar year.
No uncertainly about Australia’s top-selling car however, with the Toyota Corolla topping the sales charts (3247 sales) for the sixth month in a row.
Hyundai’s i30 and Holden’s Commodore switched places from last month, with the i30 finishing fourth on 2651 sales and the Commodore fifth on 2344. Adding the 402 Holden Utility sales to Commodore’s tally reinstates the status quo.
It seems SUV sales have plateaued in Australia, with the segment ‘steady’ in August up just 0.1 percent on the same month last year.
A trip back to April sees the Toyota Prado and Rav4 SUVs along with Mazda’s CX-5 in the top-ten, but only the CX-5 has stayed there in the months since with June’s ‘SUV-free top-ten’ being the exception.
The CX-5 finished August in ninth place on 1649 sales, while outside the top-ten we find Holden’s Cruze in 11th followed by three SUVs - Jeep Grand Cherokee in 12th (1477 sales), Hyundai ix35 in 13th (1447) and Toyota Rav4 in 14th (1307).
While Toyota sales are down 11.9 percent on August last year, Holden sales are also down (18.6 percent), representing one of the first ‘stumbling blocks’ for Holden in an otherwise-strong 2014.
Toyota's executive director sales and marketing, Tony Cramb, believed new-vehicle sales would pick up with the arrival of spring and some warmer weather.
"Demand remains at near-record levels across the industry and Toyota, in particular, is geared up for sales to accelerate during the last four months of the year," Mr Cramb said.
Top 10 Selling Brands - August 2014
- Toyota - 15,638 sales - (down 11.9 percent)
- Holden - 8635 - (down 18.6 percent)
- Hyundai - 8601 - (up 10.2 percent)
- Mazda - 7529 - (down 23.4 percent)
- Ford - 6908 - (up 11 percent)
- Mitsubishi - 5233 - (down 7.0 percent)
- Nissan - 5124 - (up 7.5 percent)
- Volkswagen - 4066 - (down 9.7 percent)
- Subaru - 2901 - (up 0.7 percent)
- Honda - 2759 - (down 16.5 percent)
Top 10 Selling Models - August 2014
- Toyota Corolla - 3247 sales - (29,213 sales year-to-date)
- Mazda3 - 3124 - (29,069)
- Toyota HiLux - 2918 - (25,218)
- Hyundai i30 - 2651 - (20,777)
- Holden Commodore - 2344 - (21,168)
- Ford Ranger - 2222 - (17,688)
- Mitsubishi Triton - 1799 - (14,838)
- Toyota Camry - 1685 - (13,608)
- Mazda CX-5 - 1649 - (14,550)
- Holden Colorado - 1637 - (12,727)
- Interested in buying TOYOTA COROLLA? Visit our TOYOTA COROLLA showroom for more information.