Subaru has confirmed that the Australian allocation of its all-new BRZ coupe has sold out, with 50 of the 201 'available' cars selling in the first 1.5 hours.
In a first for the brand, the BRZ was sold exclusively online in Australia, through a customised retail front on the carmaker's website.
Of the 201 cars coming to Australia, Subaru confirmed last week that 50 have been locked in as demonstrator models that will stay with dealers until the next allocation of consumer models arrives in early 2013.
There were also 28 buyers that got in early, laying down sizeable deposits before the BRZ had been confirmed for Australia.
The response to Subaru's announcement of online-only availability led to a rush on the company's website, resulting in crashes that kept away all but the most persistent fans.
One TMR reader tweeted today "The Subaru website has crashed. Can't buy a BRZ," followed by a second tweet two hours later: "Good thing I persisted, success!" (He took one in Lightning Red, by the way - Ed.)
Subaru says that buyers can still order a BRZ, but new stock will not reach Australia until early in 2013. Exact timing has not been confirmed.
Were you one of the lucky few today? Tell us in the comments below.
Watch TMR for our 'first drive review' in the coming week, and check out our review of the Toyota 86 here.
BRZ Online Sales Process:
- All BRZ specification, pricing and accessory information at subaru.com.au. Paper copies still available from all Subaru dealerships - easy access and understanding
- Price transparency – a uniform National Driveaway Price, for customer certainty and clarity
- A three-year/60,000 kilometre service plan available only via the Subaru National Network is included with every new BRZ sold – value for money and customer choice
- Book test drives online at a dealer location convenient to the customer – simply enter postcode on subaru.com.au to access nearest outlet with a demonstrator – no need to visit dealer beforehand
- Nominate delivering dealer online – customer choice and convenience
- Online trade-in valuation option – customers can consider options from the comfort of home
- Online finance calculator available at subaru.com.au** – information and customer convenience
- Online insurance information available at subaru.com.au – extensive information available at fingertips
- Entire contract process completed online - time efficient, plus clear information
- Dedicated customer support via a Subaru Australia BRZ coordinator – from order to delivery, customers will receive regular updates – a high level of information
- Related News & Reviews at TMR ▼
- BRZ news and reviews | Subaru news and reviews
- Sports Car news and reviews
- Interested in buying SUBARU ? Visit our SUBARU showroom for more information.