Note: the Yeti 112TSI launched on March 27, 2012. Click here for details.
Kicking off from $26,290, the Yeti starts at $2400 less than the price announced earlier this year, and $2200 below the entry Volkswagen Tiguan with which it shares the group's versatile PQ35 platform.
The Yeti comes initially in two specifications: the front-wheel-drive 77TSI petrol model, and the pricier 4x4 103TDI diesel. Both can be had with either a six-speed manual transmission, or DSG automatic.
The front-wheel-drive Yeti is powered by Volkswagen's 1.2 litre TSI petrol engine, producing 77kW and 175Nm of torque between 1550 and 4100rpm.
The small petrol engine is paired with a choice of a seven-speed DSG transmission or a six-speed manual transmission.
Fuel consumption for the 77TSI is listed at 6.6 litres in manual form, and 7.0 l/100km with the DSG auto. The 0-100km/h run is over in 11.8 seconds for the manual, and 12.0 for the auto.
Towing capacity for the petrol engine is 1200kg braked for both manual and auto.
For the Yeti 4x4, power is provided by the Volkswagen Group's familiar 2.0 litre TDI diesel engine, developing 103kW and 320Nm of torque from 1750 to 2500rpm. Six-speed manual and DSG automatic transmissions will be offered here.
The Yeti 4x4 has 180mm ground clearance and features the familiar Haldex fourth-generation four-wheel-drive system, giving the Yeti limitied off-road capability and sure-footed on-road stability in slippery or marginal conditions.
Fuel consumption for the 103TDI 4x4 is listed at 6.2 l/100km with the manual transmission, and 6.7 l/100km with the DSG. The diesel Yeti misses out on the Tiguan 103TDI's BlueMotion technology, resulting in its slightly higher fuel consumption.
The 0-100km/h run is listed at 9.9 seconds for the manual and 10.2 with the auto. Towing capacity is 2000kg braked for the diesel engine.
The front wheels of both Yeti models have been fitted with ventilated disc brakes with single piston floating caliper, and solid disc brakes feature at the rear wheels.
Yeti 77TSI features breakdown
- 16-inch alloy wheels, 16-inch steel spare wheel
- Black roof rails, body coloured wing mirrors and door handles, side indicators integrated into side mirrors
- Cruise control, Air conditioning
- Power windows front and rear, electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors
- Height adjustable halogen projector headlights
- Height and reach-adjustable four-spoke multi-function leather steering wheel (with radio and phone controls)
- Cooled front passenger glove compartment
- 'Swing' radio with CD and MP3 player (eight speakers)
- Remote central locking (with two keys)
- VarioFlex rear seating system (over 20 seating position combinations)
- Lashing eyes in boot, luggage net restraint program
Yeti 103TDI features breakdown (in addition 77TSI specifications)
- 17-inch alloy wheels, 16-inch steel spare wheel
- Auto Lights (Coming Home/Leaving Home function, Tunnel light), front foglights
- Chrome package (gearlever, gearlever frame, handbrake button), silver roof rails
- 'Bolero' radio with integrated six-CD changer and MP3 compatibility
- Warning lights in front doors
- Underbody protection
- Dual-zone climate control air-conditioning, auto rain-sensing windscreen wipers
- Height-adjustable driver and passenger seat with lumbar support
- Sunglass storage and storage compartment under passenger seat
- Cooled and illuminated front passenger glove compartment in instrument panel
- Lashing eyes and adjustable hooks in boot
Volkswagen's Park Assist 2 is also offered with the Yeti, assisting drivers not only in parallel parking, but also in perpendicular (90 degree) parking.
With the driver responsible only for prompted use of the accelerator and braking, the Park Assist system handles the steering duties, slotting the Yeti into - and out of - its space.
With a set of ultrasonic sensors and a massive range of detection and manoeuvring abilities, Park Assist is an intelligent system - although Volkswagen stresses that the final judgement call belongs to the driver.
Safety features across the range include ABS, electronic brakeforce distribution, ASR and Hill Hold Control. Seven airbags are featured, and the Yeti carries a 5 Star EuroNCAP crash safety rating - An ANCAP rating has still to be confirmed.
- Yeti 77TSI six-speed manual - $26,290
- Yeti 77TSI seven-speed DSG - $28,590
- Yeti 112TSI six-speed manual - $32,990
- Yeti 112TSI six-speed DSG - $35,290
- Note: the 112TSI launched on March 27, 2012. Click here for details.
- Yeti 103TDI six-speed manual - $35,690
- Yeti 103TDI six-speed DSG - $37,990
Note: all prices are Manufacturer’s List Price and do not include dealer delivery or on-road costs.
- Related News & Reviews at TMR ▼
- Yeti news and reviews | Skoda news and reviews
- SUV news and reviews | Family Car news and reviews