SKODA OCTAVIA REVIEW
VEHICLE STYLE: Mid-size five-door hatch
PRICE: $24,490 (plus On Road Costs)
Engine: 1.4 litre, turbo-petrol, in-line four-cylinder.
Outputs: 90kW / 200Nm?
Transmission: six-speed, automated dual-clutch.
Official fuel efficiency: 6.7 l/100km
On test fuel efficiency: 7.1 l/100km?
CO2 emissions: 158g/km
- Quality: Cabin materials and controls have a quality feel and, in while our hands, there were no squeaks nor rattles. Fit and finish is up to the excellent standard that we have come to expect from Skoda.
- Comfort: Firm and supportive seats are well suited to the daily commute. There is adequate leg and headroom in the rear, but thigh support could be improved. Three adults are a snug fit in the rear.
- Equipment: Standard are 15-inch alloy wheels, power windows, mirrors, power steering, air-conditioning, multi-function leather steering wheel and trip display. CD/MP3/Aux player with eight speakers.
- Storage: The Octavia Liftback offers 560 litres of storage space, growing to 1420 litres with the 60:40 split rear bench folded flat.
ON THE ROAD
- Driveability: It’s only a little engine, but the 90TSI’s strong torque figures gives it willing performance with a light load; but blunted when loaded up. The smooth shift and light clutch action however make the 90TSI manual an easy drive, even in stop-start traffic.
- Refinement: The cabin is well isolated from road and engine noise. Some wind noise becomes apparent at highway speeds - it is not intrusive however and the overall impression of the Octavia is of a refined and acceptably quiet cruiser.
- Suspension: Independent suspension all-round, the Octavia 90TSI is firm but more compliant than Volkswagen's Golf. It offers well-controlled handling and comfortable driving on most road surfaces.
- Braking: Disc brakes are fitted all round; braking performance - even for hard stops - is very good.
- ANCAP rating: 4-Star (2007 onwards)
- Safety features: Standard safety equipment includes ABS, traction control, stability control, cruise control, emergency brake assist, electronic brake force distribution, plus front, side, and curtain airbags.
WARRANTY AND SERVICING
- Warranty: The 90TSI carries Skoda’s standard passenger vehicle 3 yr/Unlimited km warranty.
- Service costs: Service intervals are every 15,000km/12 months, with service costs between $400-$500 for the first 50,000km.
HOW IT COMPARES | VALUE FOR MONEY
- Ford Mondeo LX Hatch ($30,990) - The Mondeo LX Hatch is more powerful, offers similar build quality and is a more engaging drive. The Mondeo carries a 5-Star ANCAP rating but will cost you $6,500 more than the 90TSI. (click for Mondeo reviews)
- Toyota Camry Altise ($30,490) - The Camry has a more powerful engine, a larger interior along with similar levels of equipment, comfort and build quality. It matches the Octavia’s 4-Star ANCAP rating, but costs $6,000 more. (click for Camry reviews)
- Mazda6 Classic Hatch ($32,750) - The Mazda6 carries a 5-Star ANCAP rating and, most powerful of this group, offers a spirited drive. Features are largely on par with the Octavia, with the addition of dual-zone climate control. The 6 has an $8,260 price premium over the Octavia. (click for Mazda6 reviews)
TMR VERDICT | OVERALL
Compared to its competitors, the Octavia 90TSI is very good buying value. It is feature-rich, spacious, comfortable and very nicely put together.
It is shaded for performance - this may be a shortcoming for some - but rewards with brilliant fuel consumption. At the price, the Octavia 90TSI is hard to ignore.