Earlier this month, the Victorian government released details of a new approach to determining vehicle suitability for young and inexperienced drivers, with the current blanket ban on eight-cylinder and turbocharged cars replaced with a power-to-weight ratio scheme.
The new scheme in Victoria is set to begin on July 1, while the similar scheme for NSW will begin one month later on August 1.
NSW Roads Minister, Duncan Gay, said turbocharging and supercharging on cars has changed in recent years, with forced induction no longer used primarily in performance vehicles.
“I asked our safety experts to work with other states and territories, the Federal Government and the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries to re-evaluate the list of banned cars to recognise changes to technology and provide a more uniform approach across the country,” Mr Gay said.
“These days, for many vehicles in this category [forced induction] is about fuel efficiency not speed and acceleration, so it was appropriate we revisit the ban in light of the fact many of these vehicles are low performance with modern, effective safety features.”
From August 1, an additional 6500 vehicles will be available to young drivers in NSW, which will adopt the same 130kW per tonne power-to-weight ratio as Victoria.
Unlike Victoria, however, NSW will allow P-Platers to drive vehicles with forced induction built before 2010, with Mr Gay saying the state government has delayed the new laws to give the department time to research the older cars.
A list of approved models will soon be available on the NSW Centre For Road Safety website, with around 7500 vehicles – including some that meet the 130kW per tonne limit - to remain on the banned list for young drivers.
“For example, the 2007 Subaru WRX has a power-to-mass ratio of 123 kW per tonne, but is banned because it can also go from zero to 100 in less than six seconds,” Mr Gay said.