Mitsubishi’s all-new Triton has arrived in Australia, making its media debut this week on Queensland’s Fraser Island.
Priced from $24,490 before on-road costs, the new Triton is a crucial model for Mitsubishi in Australia, with its new 5-Star ANCAP safety rating bound to boost its appeal with fleet buyers deterred by the previous model’s 4-Star score.
The new range will be offered with a diesel engine initially, to be joined by a petrol engine down the road.
Three body styles - Double Cab, Club Cab and Single Cab - will be offered, with 4x4 Double Cab models offering a 3.1 tonne braked towing capacity.
Model grades have also been brought in line with the updated Outlander and the Pajero, now featuring the entry GLX, mid-spec GLS and the top-shelf Exceed.
“Mitsubishi’s fifth-generation Triton has made significant advances in every area and represents a big leap forward in the light commercial segment,” Mitsubishi Australia’s Tony Principe said today.
POWERTRAIN & SPECIFICATIONS
From launch, the new Triton will be offered exclusively with a 2.4 litre ‘4N15’ turbo diesel four-cylinder engine, with a 94kW 2.4 litre petrol mill to join the Australian range later this year.
The new Euro V compliant 2.4 MIVEC turbo diesel offers 133kW at 3500rpm and 430Nm of torque at 2500rpm in both six-speed manual and five-speed auto configurations - the latter being a new evolution of the AISIN unit featured with the workhorse Pajero 4WD.
By comparison, the 2.5 litre diesel engines in the outgoing Triton range offer 100kW at 3800rpm and 314Nm at 2000rpm in low-spec models, while the ‘High Performance Diesel’ version offers 131kW at 4000rpm and 400Nm at 2000rpm (manual; 350Nm for auto).
Fuel consumption gains improvements of between 11 to 21 percent, depending on the model, with figures ranging from 7.0 l/100km for the manual 4x2 GLX single-cab chassis to 7.6 l/100km for the auto-equipped 4x4 GLX, GLS and Exceed models.
CO2 emissions range from 185g/km to 201g/km.
Mitsubishi’s Easy Select 4WD system, offering 2H, 4H and 4L driving models, with 2H and 4H accessible at speeds up to 100km/h is standard on GLX models. The GLS and Exceed get a lockable centre-diff, and the 'Super Select' AWD system.
The new Triton rides on the same 3.0 metre wheelbase of its predecessor, although the body sits a little further forward on the chassis compared to the outgoing model, maintaining a 30 degree approach angle and with an improved 22 degree departure angle.
Importantly for on-road duties, the change also provides better weight distribution across all four wheels.
The 2015 Triton also benefits from a strong rear sub-frame design, allowing the suspension to be tuned for “maximum ride comfort”.
Mitsubishi says one of its major focus points was in “overcoming the ride comfort and manoeuvrability issues normally associated with conventional light commercial vehicles”.
In all, the latest Triton boasts a new rear shock and spring design and rates, new front droplink mounting and a bigger front stabiliser bar.
The Triton range is now offered in three specific feature levels: entry GLX, mid-range GLS and the new top model, the Exceed.
A reversing camera is optional with GLX and standard with GLS and Exceed, and the entire range now features tilt and telescopic steering adjustment.
Other key features standard across the range include Active Stability and Traction Control, Hill Start Assist, Trailer Stability Assist, adjustable speed limiter, multi-information monitor and Emergency Stop Signal function.
Passive safety features including driver and front passenger SRS airbags, side and curtain airbags and driver’s knee airbag, while seat belts are fitted with pre-tensioners and force limiters.
Mitsubishi’s new-generation Super Select four-wheel drive II, HID headlights, LED Daytime Running Lamps, full colour touch screen, four-wheel drive selector dial, dual zone climate control air-conditioning and reversing camera are standard with GLS and Exceed models.
Triton GLX (4x2 Single Cab, Double Cab)
- 2.4 litre MIVEC diesel engine
- Emissions Standard: Euro 5
- Transmission: 6MT
- Transmission: 5AT optional (dependent on model)
- 16x6-inch steel wheels with 205R16C tyres (Single Cab)
- 16x7-inch steel wheels with 245/70R16 tyres and overfenders (Double Cab)
- Heavy duty suspension
- Halogen headlamps
- Chrome grille
- A-Pillar assist grip (LH + RH)
- Tilt and telescopic Steering Column
- Cruise control with steering wheel controls
- Hands free Bluetooth with voice command and steering wheel controls
- Combination meter: light through type (amber illumination)
- Audio system with AM/FM radio/CD player
- USB port
- Twin LCD trip meter
- Multi Information Monitor - average fuel consumption, driving distance
- Adjustable speed limiter
- 7 airbags (driver & passenger, side and curtain, driver knee)
- ABS/EBD/ASC/brake over-ride system
- Hill Start Assist system
- Trailer Stability Assist system
- Emergency Stop Signal function
- Note: Optional 2.4-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with 5-speed manual transmission available late 2015
Triton GLX (4x4 Single Cab) adds
- Easy Select 4WD system
- Electronic control transfer shift dial
- 16x7” steel wheels with 245/70R16 tyres and overfenders
Triton GLX (4x4 Club Cab) adds
- Side steps
- 4-door body with clamshell style doors
Triton GLS (4x4 Double Cab) adds
- Super Select II 4WD
- 17x7.5” alloy wheels
- 245/65R17 111S tyres
- Front bumper under garnish: painted
- High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
- LED Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)
- Front fog lamps
- Side steps
- Rear step bumper
- Sports bar
- Rear view camera
- Chrome automatic electric folding door mirrors with side turn lamp
- 3-spoke leather steering wheel
- Leather transmission shift knob
- Piano black and silver trim panel highlights
- Combination meter with white illumination
- Sports trim interior fabric
- Fabric door trim insert panel
- Needle punch carpet with heel pad
- Outside temperature indicator
- Dual zone full auto climate control air-conditioning
- Display audio with 6.1" colour touch screen, AM/FM radio/CD player
- DAB (digital audio broadcast) radio
- 6-speaker audio, including two tweeters
Triton Exceed (4x4 Double Cab) adds
- Transmission Paddle Shift
- Diff Lock
- Leather look door trim insert panel
- Smart key
- One Touch Start
- Dusk sensing headlamps
- Rain sensing auto intermittent wipers
- Leather seats
- Driver power seat
- Mitsubishi Multi Communication System featuring 7" touch screen display with DAB, 3D navigation mapping and SD Card input
SERVICE & WARRANTY
The new Triton range is covered under Mitsubishi’s five-year / 100,000km New Car Warranty.
Service intervals are listed at 15,000km or 12 months, with a pricing chart offered below.
30,000km (24 months) $580 RRP
45,000km (36 months) $580 RRP
60,000km (48 months) $580 RRP
PRICING (excludes on-road costs)
- GLX Single Cab Chassis - manual diesel - $24,490
- GLX Single Cab Chassis - auto diesel - $26,990
- GLX Double Cab Chassis - auto diesel - $35,990
- GLX Single Cab Chassis - manual diesel - $32,490
- GLX Club Cab Chassis - manual diesel - $35,290
- GLX Double Cab pickup - manual diesel - $36,990
- GLX Double Cab pickup - auto diesel - $39,490
- GLS Double Cab pickup - manual diesel - $40,990
- GLS Double Cab pickup - auto diesel - $43,490
- Exceed Double Cab pickup - auto diesel - $47,490