A powerful new limited-edition Polestar-enhanced version of Volvo's S60 will hit Australia in June as part of a new pilot programme exclusive to our market.
With 257kW and more than 500Nm of torque, the new model may fall short of the $300,000 one-off car's 380kW, but easily betters the regular 224kW T6 R-Design model.
It also beats the current Polestar option available to local S60 models, which boosts output in the T6 R-Design to 242kW and 480Nm.
Like the regular Polestar package - and unlike the one-off special - this new offering is fitted with a six-speed automatic transmission only.
Weight remains unchanged - its 1684kg matching the standard T6 R-Design - but Volvo promises a 0-100km/h time of just 4.9 seconds.
By comparison, the existing Polestar model in Australia gets there in 5.8 seconds, while the regular T6 R-Design lists a relatively pedestrian run of 6.1 seconds.
Pricing for the unique new model has yet to be confirmed, but with existing Polestar-enhanced models priced at $82,990 in Australia, we can likely expect this weapon to cost more than $100,000.
"The Australian market for performance cars is, and has always been, strong," Volvo Car Australia boss Matt Braid said.
"We are delighted to be able to offer our customers the Volvo S60 Polestar, a car more than capable of getting into the thick of the action in this competitive segment of the market.
"The work done by Polestar on the S60 is impressive to say the least - they have transformed the already fun to drive Volvo S60 into a great handling driver's car."
How will Volvo justify the likely price hike? There's a near endless list of mechanical and software tweaks to improve handling and response, and a number of key Polestar styling and aero additions.
Interestingly - and likely a matter of timing - the special new model is based on the outgoing pre-facelift S60. It's unclear at this stage if a revised version of the top-shelf Polestar model will hit Australia later.
There's large new 19-inch alloy wheels, bigger exhaust tips, a rea diffuser and a boot lip spoiler, and of course Polestar badging.
The interior is also overrun with Polestar elements - as is the existing package - including unique and branded door trims, steering wheel and gear shift knob, and even the door sills.
See below for a full list of features, and stay tuned for firm pricing and availability details.
- 6-cylinder inline T6 engine, 2953cc
- 257kW (350bhp) @ 5700rpm
- 500+Nm @ 2800-4750rpm
- Max 6500rpm
- Polestar engine software, New Borg Warner turbo, New intercooler
- 2.5-inch stainless full-flow exhaust system with 3.5" tail pipes.
- Polestar Öhlins road and track, 2-way adjustable shock absorbers
- Upgraded springs
- 60N/mm front, 65N/mm rear (80% stiffer than stock)
- Upgraded stabilizers front and rear
- Upgraded rear tie blades
- Upgraded top mount in front and rear
- Upgraded toe link arms in rear
- Strut brace with carbonfibre enforcement
- 235/40R19, Michelin Pilot Super Sport
- Bespoke Polestar rims, 8x19" ET51
- AWF21 automatic gearbox, Polestar software, Launch control
- Modified transmission software for faster shifts and launch control
- Modified AWD software for more rear torque
- Front: Volvo calipers, 336 x 29mm ventilated discs, Jurid 958 performance brake pad
- Rear: Volvo calipers, 302 x 22mm ventilated Brembo discs, HP2000 Brembo performance brake pads