The wagonised version of Mercedes-Benz’s CLA sedan, the ‘Shooting Brake’, will hit Australian showrooms in July with a $52,400 starting price.
That entry point gives the wagon a $1500 premium over the CLA ‘four-door coupe’, with equipment and specifications largely identical across the range.
The CLA Shooting Brake arrives as the fifth member of Merc’s line-up of new-generation compact cars, joining the CLA sedan, A-Class and B-Class hatches, and the high-riding GLA-Class SUV.
Just as the CLA entered the Mercedes line-up as a compact version of the big CLS four-door coupe, the new wagon will prove appealing to buyers deterred by the CLS Shooting Brake’s $114,900 price tag.
Four engines will be offered in the CLA Shooting Brake range, from the CLA 200 through to the top-shelf AMG CLA 45.
The three petrol engines and one diesel are each mated to seven-speed automatic transmissions, tuned for performance in the CLA 250 Sport and matched with a dual-clutch design in the CLA 45.
Driving the petrol CLA 200 is a 115kW/250Nm 1.6 litre turbocharged engine, promising a 0-100km/h time of 8.8 seconds.
Australian fuel figures are still to be confirmed, but current overseas data sees consumption listed at 6.0 l/100km.
The diesel-powered CLA 200 CDI is motivated by a 100kW/300Nm 2.1 litre turbo diesel, claiming a 9.9 0-100km/h time and 4.4 l/100km fuel figures (overseas).
For those looking for more, the all-wheel-drive CLA 250 Sport 4Matic boasts a 155kW/350Nm 2.0 litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol mill and a sports handling package.
The 250 Sport’s 0-100km/h time is far sharper at 6.8 seconds, and fuel use (overseas) is listed at 6.8 l/100km.
Topping the range is the requisite hero model, the Mercedes-AMG CLA 45.
Powering the chief is a 265kW/450Nm 2.0 litre turbo that shaves its 0-100km/h time to 4.7 seconds. Fuel use is listed at 6.9 l/100km (overseas).
MORE: CLA Shooting Brake And CLA 45 AMG Revealed
FEATURES & DIMENSIONS
Standout kit includes 18-inch alloys with the entry CLA 200, growing to 19 inches on the 250 Sport and AMG models (with a unique design for each).
The entry model also gets bi-xenon headlights and a black diamond grille, twin exhaust tips, sports seats and active park assist, among others.
There’s also a special launch model called ‘OrangeArt’, adding orange highlights inside and out.
The CLA Shooting Brake measures 4630mm long, 1777 wide and 1435 high, with boot space ranging from 495 to 1354 litres; depending on the position of the rear seats.
These seats can be shifted to a true upright ‘cargo position’, offering 595 litres of boot space.
CLA 200 and CLA 200 CDI
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Seven-speed automatic transmission
- Active parking assist
- Bi-xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lights, LED tail-lights
- Cruise control
- Diamond grille with black pins
- Auto tailgate
- Auto headlights and wipers
- Lowered comfort suspension
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Tinted windows
- Twin exhaust outlets
- Nine airbags
- Attention Assist
- Blind spot assist
- Collision prevention assist plus with semi-autonomous braking
- Electronic stability control
- Pre-safe accident anticipatory system
- Four-way electric lumbar adjust
- 8.0-inch display screen with Audio 20 infotainment system, Garmin Map Pilot SD card navigation, Bluetooth connectivity with audio streaming
- Six-speaker audio system
- Electric park brake
- Keyless start
- Reverse-view camera with guidelines and 180-degree visibility
- Man-made Artico leather sports seats
- Steering wheel shift paddles
- Dual-zone climate control
CLA 250 Sport
- 18-inch AMG alloy wheels
- 4Matic all-wheel drive
- AMG body kit
- Red brake calipers
- Privacy glass
- Diamond grille with silver pins
- Intelligent lighting system with bi-xenon headlamps, cornering lights, adaptive high beam assist, LED daytime running lights, LED tail-lights
- Lowered sports suspension
- Panoramic glass sunroof
- Perforated front brake discs
- Sport configuration for seven-speed automatic transmission
- Sportier engine and accelerator tuning
- Anti-theft alarm system
- Modified ESC
- Tyre pressure monitor
- Electric front seats with memory
- Keyless-Go keyless entry
- Leather steering wheel with perforated grip
- Leather sports seats
- Heated front seats
- Sports pedals with brushed stainless steel
- Red contrast stitching
- Red seatbelts
- Rear armrest with twin cupholders and through loading
- Aluminium trim and red air vent surrounds
AMG CLA 45
- 19-inch AMG alloy wheels
- AMG driver’s package
- AMG high-performance brakes
- AMG performance exhaust
- AMG Speedshift automatic transmission
- AMG sports suspension
- AMG body kit
- AMG red brake calipers
- Lane keeping assist
- Three-stage ESC
- Distronic Plus adaptive cruise control
- AMG instrument cluster with race timer
- AMG performance leather seats
- AMG performance leather/Dinamica steering wheel
- 8.0-inch display screen with Comand Aps infotainment system, HDD navigation, 10GB music storage, DVD player, voice control, Bluetooth, internet connectivity, digital radio
- AMG floor mats
- 12-speaker Harman Kardon Logic 7 surround sound system
- Illuminated door sill panels
- Red seatbelts
- AMG key
PRICING (excludes on-road cost)
- CLA 200 - $49,900
- CLA 200 CDI - $50,400 (due February)
- CLA 250 Sport - $63,400 (due April)
- CLA 45 AMG - $86,900
More here: CLA Sedan Price & Features
CLA Shooting Brake
- CLA200 $52,400
- CLA200 CDI $52,900
- CLA250 Sport 4Matic $66,400
- CLA45 AMG 4Matic $89,900
MORE: CLA News & Reviews
MORE: Mercedes-Benz | Small Prestige Cars