Pricing for the restyled B-Class has increased across the range, although Mercedes says it has boosted appeal with new features that boost overall value by up to $2500.
The 2015 line’s price increases range from $500 to $3800, but, importantly, the B-Class remains a more affordable option than its direct rival the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer.
For the new model year, the B-Class picks up new-look headlights, a revised front bumper, a refreshed LED-rich internal layout to the tail-lights and a subtly updated rear bumper.
The line-up’s mechanical package is largely unchanged for 2015, although fuel consumption and acceleration has improved across all four powertrains.
The B 180’s 90kW/200Nm 1.6 litre turbo petrol engine now boasts a 0-100km/h time of 9.1 seconds (-1.1sec) and fuel figures of 5.5 l/100km (-0.6 l/100km).
Moving to the B 200 sees the 115kW/250Nm 1.6 turbo petrol engine’s acceleration improve 0.2 seconds to 8.6 seconds, and fuel consumption again matches the B 180 with 5.5 l/100km.
Topping the petrol range is the 155kW/350Nm 2.0 litre turbo petrol B 250. Its 0-100km/h time is unchanged at 6.7 seconds, although fuel consumption has improved 0.3 l/100km to 6.8 l/100km.
Representing the diesel end is the 100kW/300Nm 2.1 litre B 200 CDI. Maximum power is now available 400rpm earlier at 3200-4000rpm, while peak torque improves 200rpm to 1400-3000rpm.
Fuel consumption with the B 200 diesel improves 0.5 l/100km to 4.2 l/100m, although its 0-100km/h time is now 0.5 seconds slower at 9.8 seconds.
All models are equipped with a seven-speed automatic transmission exclusively.
Standout features for the 2015 range include the upgrade to a larger 8.0-inch centre display for all models, along with upgraded trim and highlights.
There’s also new satellite navigation and push-button start in the entry B 180, while the up-spec B 200 gains LED headlights, an upgraded sat-nav, keyless entry and blindspot monitoring.
The B 250 picks up a similar spread of new tech, along with 4Matic all-wheel-drive, ambient lighting in the cabin and an anti-theft system.
- Climate control
- 8.0-inch display with SD card-based Garmin satellite navigation, Bluetooth phone connectivity with audio streaming, two USB ports
- Six-speaker audio system
- Electric park brake
- Cloth upholstery
- Keyless start
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel with paddleshifters
- Reverse-view camera with guidelines
- Black roof liner
- Rain-sensing wipers
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Semi-automated parking
- Comfort suspension
- Cruise control
- Auto headlights
- LED daytime running lights and partial LED tail-lights
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Tinted windows
- Nine airbags
- Attention assist
- Collision prevention assist with semi-autonomous braking
- Pre-Safe accident anticipatory system
B 200, B 200 CDI
- Four-way electric lumbar support
- Artico leather upholstery
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Black ash wood trim
- Front armrest with fore/aft adjustment
- Rear armrest
- Mirror package
- Dual-zone climate control
- Unique 17-inch alloy wheels
- Power-folding mirrors
- LED tail-lights
- LED headlights and daytime running lights
- Twin exhaust outlets
- Blind spot assist
B 250 4Matic
- Ambient lighting with 12 colour options
- AMG velour floor mats
- Black Artico leather/Dinamica upholstery
- Keyless Go system
- Three-spoke sports steering wheel
- Red contrast stitching
- Stainless steel sports pedals
- 18-inch AMG alloy wheels
- 4Matic all-wheel drive
- AMG Line body styling
- Perforated front brake discs and brake calipers with ‘Mercedes-Benz’ lettering
- Tinted privacy glass
- Gloss black mirror caps and rear bumper strip
- Lowered comfort suspension
- Sports Direct-Steer system
- Twin-louvre front grille
- Anti-theft alarm system
PRICING (excludes on-road costs)
- B 180 - $41,400 (up $500)
- B 200 - $47,400 (up $1500)
- B 250 4Matic - $54,200 (up $3800)
- B 200 CDI - $47,900 (up $1500)
Sales for both brands in this new niche have been less than stellar, with BMW moving 143 Active Tourers in January and Mercedes sending 113 B-Class hatches to new homes.
- Interested in buying ? Visit our showroom for more information.