Mazda’s all-new CX-3, coming with the “most extensive range across the small SUV segment”, plants its flag on Australian soil this month.
It comes in four trim-grades, petrol and diesel engines, manual and auto transmissions, along with front- and all-wheel-drive layouts. In all, the CX-3 boasts 24 possible configurations.
As TMR reported in February, the compact CX-3 kicks off at $19,990 for the entry ‘Neo’ grade, topping out at $37,690 for the top-shelf Akari.
Mazda says it is planning for around 1000 sales each month, which, if it had been in showrooms last month, would have put the CX-3 comfortably ahead of Honda’s new HR-V (825 in February) but behind the slightly larger Mitsubishi ASX (1,451) and Nissan Qashqai (1,126).
Mazda may yet pass its Mitsubishi and Nissan rivals in the compact SUV segment, although the company has admitted that strong demand in overseas markets will limit local potential.
“We’re not trying to protect Mazda3 or Mazda2. It will steal some sales from ‘3’, it may steal some from ‘2’, but as long as it’s stealing from within the Mazda family, it doesn’t really matter,” Mazda Australia marketing boss Alastair Doak told TMR in February.
Driving the local CX-3 range will be pair of petrol and diesel engines, available with most trim grades and configurations.
Petrol models are motivated by a 109kW/192Nm 2.0 litre four-cylinder unit.
Fuel consumption figures in the petrol range begin from 6.1 l/100km in front-wheel-drive, six-speed auto models.
AWD auto models list fuel use at 6.7 l/100km.
The diesel end of the range is driven by a 77kW/270Nm 1.5 litre four-cylinder mill, with fuel consumption starting at 4.8 l/100km for the front-wheel-drive, six-speed auto models.
AWD auto models list fuel use at 5.1 l/100km.
Suspension in all models is by MacPherson struts at the front, matched to a torsion beam design at the rear.
FEATURES & DIMENSIONS
- 16-inch steel wheels with 215/60 tyres
- Exhaust extensions (chrome)
- Green-tinted windscreen, side and rear windows
- Halogen headlamps
- Power mirrors (body coloured with folding function)
- Power windows
- Rear spoiler
- Height adjustable front seat (Driver)
- 60/40 split fold backrest
- Seat trim: Black/grey cloth
- Cruise control
- Door bottle holders (front and rear)
- Tilt and telescopic adjustable steering wheel
- Trip computer
- Vanity mirrors (front)
- Audio system with: AM/FM tuner, single disc CD player (MP3 compatible) and four speakers
- Auxiliary-audio input jack (3.5mm mini-stereo)
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and audio capability
- Steering wheel-mounted audio controls USB-audio input port (iPod compatible)
- Advanced keyless push-button engine start
- Airbags SRS: front (Driver and passenger), side (front) and curtain (front and rear)
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) Emergency Brake Assist (EBA) Emergency Stop Signal (ESS) Hill Launch Assist (HLA) ISOFIX child restraint anchor points and top tethers
- Parking sensors (rear) Remote central locking (2 transmitters) Traction Control System (TCS)
Maxx (in addition to Neo features)
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Leather-wrapped: gear shift knob, handbrake handle and steering wheel
- Overhead sunglass storage box 7-inch full colour touch screen display (MZD Connect)
- Audio system with six speakers Internet radio integration (Pandora, Stitcher and Aha )
- Multi-function commander control
- Radio Data System (RDS) program information
- Satellite navigation
- Reverse camera
STouring (in addition to Maxx features)
- 18-inch alloy wheels with 215/50 tyres
- Front fog-lamps (LED)
- Daytime running lamps (LED)
- Headlamps (LED)
- Headlamps auto on/off function
- Tail-lamps (LED)
- Wipers (front) 2-speed with rain-sensing function
- Seat trim: Black Maztex/grey cloth
- Active Driving Display
- Air-conditioning (climate control)
- Advanced keyless entry
Akari (in addition to sTouring features)
- Power sliding and tilt glass sunroof
- Seat trim: Black leather8/black suede or pure white leather/black suede
- Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring (ABSM)
- High Beam Control (HBC)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Smart City Brake Support (SCBS)
The CX-3 offers 160mm of minimum ground clearance and a turning ciycle of 10.6 metres kerb-to-kerb.
Although well-equipped, the CX-3’s Achilles heel could be its rear storage. Measuring just 264 litres, it’s well behind segment competitors like the Mitsubishi ASX, Peugeot 2008 and Holden Trax.
With the 60:40 split-folding rear seats folded flat, cargo capacity grows to 1174 litres. The space measures 1000mm wide and 740mm long.
PRICING (excludes on-road costs)
2.0L Petrol FWD
- Neo - 6spd manual - $19,990
- Neo - 6spd auto - $21,990
- Neo Safety - 6spd manual - $21,020
- Neo Safety - 6spd auto - $23,020
- Maxx - 6spd manual - $22,390
- Maxx - 6spd auto - $24,390
- Maxx Safety - 6spd manual - $23,420
- Maxx Safety - 6spd auto - $25,420
- sTouring - 6spd manual - $26,990
- sTouring - 6spd auto - $28,990
- sTouring Safety - 6spd manual - $28,020
- sTouring Safety - 6spd auto - $30,020
- Akari - 6spd manual - $31,290
- Akari - 6spd auto - $33,290
1.5L Diesel FWD
- Maxx - 6spd auto - $26,790
- Maxx Safety - 6spd auto - $27,820
2.0L Petrol AWD
- Maxx - 6spd auto - $26,390
- Maxx Safety - 6spd auto - $27,420
- sTouring - 6spd auto - $30,990
- sTouring Safety - 6spd auto - $32,020
- Akari - 6spd auto - $35,290
1.5L Diesel AWD
- sTouring - 6spd auto - $33,390
- sTouring Safety - 6spd auto - $34,420
- Akari - 6spd auto - $37,690
- Interested in buying MAZDA ? Visit our MAZDA showroom for more information.