Mazda has bolstered the appeal of its CX-5 SUV this week with the introduction of the 2.5 litre petrol engine to the Australian range.
For 2013, the more powerful 2.5 litre SkyActiv-G engine replaces the 2.0 in all-wheel-drive Maxx, Maxx Sport and GT models.
Front-wheel-drive models will continue with the 2.0 engine, but Mazda has also upgraded Bluetooth across the range and added a new top-shelf 'Akera' model.
Producing 138kW and 250Nm of torque, the 2.5 engine marks a significant increase in power over the 2.0 litre mill, which previously offered 113kW and 198Nm.
The new engine's figures also represent a 15 percent increase in power and 22 percent increase in torque, when compared to the 2.5 litre engine of the superseded CX-7 SUV.
Fuel consumption for the new engine is listed at 7.5 l/100km, bettering many similarly specified medium SUVs - and the 9.4 l/100km front-wheel-drive 2.5 litre model in the old CX-7 range.
Towing capacity with the new 2.5 engine is listed at 1800kg braked, and 750kg unbraked - both figures equal to the outgoing 2.0 litre models.
2.0 Petrol & Akera Model
The existing 2.0 litre front-wheel-drive models have also been given a boost for 2013, with an engine update providing increased acceleration.
Output gets a slight bump to 114kW and 200Nm, and the sprint to 100km/h falls from 9.5 to 9.1 seconds.
Bluetooth connectivity has been upgraded across the range, with new functions including SMS, MMS and Email display on the 5.8 inch monitor, and messages can be read aloud by the system. The address book now also holds up to 1000 contacts
Mazda has also added a new top-shelf 'Akera' variant to the range, featuring Blind Spot Monitoring, High Beam Control and Lane Departure Warning as standard equipment.
The Akera's features were previously a cost option only, as part of the $1990 Tech Pack.
Pricing (excludes on-road costs)
- 2013 Mazda CX-5 Maxx 2.0 litre petrol FWD 6MT - $27,880
- 2013 Mazda CX-5 Maxx 2.0 litre petrol FWD 6AT - $29,880
- 2013 Mazda CX-5 Maxx 2.2 litre diesel AWD 6AT - $32,880
- 2013 Mazda CX-5 Maxx Sport 2.0 litre petrol FWD 6AT - $33,620
- 2013 Mazda CX-5 Maxx Sport 2.5 litre petrol AWD 6AT - $36,620
- 2013 Mazda CX-5 Maxx Sport 2.2 litre diesel AWD 6AT - $39,470
- 2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 2.5 litre petrol AWD 6AT - $43,780
- 2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 2.2 litre diesel AWD 6AT - $46,630
- 2013 Mazda CX-5 Akera 2.5 Petrol AWD 6AT - $45,770
- 2013 Mazda CX-5 Akera 2.2 Diesel AWD 6AT - $48,620
- Interested in buying MAZDA CX-5? Visit our MAZDA CX-5 showroom for more information.