Available in three trim grades - including F Sport - the 450h carries much of the 350's features, but packs a heavier hit under the bonnet and a softer touch at the bowser.
Like the GS 350, power for the GS 450h is provided by a 3.5 litre petrol engine - but this one is also the world's first Atkinson cycle V6 to drive a premium large sedan.
The V6 engine is paired with the Lexus Hybrid Synergy Drive system, which incorporates an electric motor and gives owners the choice of all-petrol, all-electric or combined hybrid driving modes.
The paired powerplants are combined with an Electric CVT transmission to deliver 254kW, giving the new GS 450h a 0-100km/h time of 5.9 seconds - a smidge swifter than the 350's 6.0 second sprint.
Despite the small acceleration win, the real win for the new hybrid is in its fuel consumption, which Lexus says has improved by more than 20 percent, falling to 6.3 l/100km. That's compared to 9.3 l/100km for the GS 350.
CO2 emissions are down to 147g/km.
Lexus promises improved rear storage also, with a redesigned battery making for a huge boost from 320 to 465 litres.
GS 450h Luxury
- Drive Mode Select (ECO/NORMAL/SPORT/SPORT+ and EV driving modes)
- Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS)
- VDIM vehicle stability system, Cruise control
- Blind Spot Monitor, Tyre Pressure Monitor
- Eight-sensor parking and clearance sonar, Reverse camera with Rear Guide Assist
- Bi-Xenon HID headlamps with Adaptive Front-lighting System, LED Daytime Running Lights
- Second generation Lexus Remote Touch (LRT)
- Moonroof, Self-healing paint
- Rain-sensing wipers
- DAB+ digital radio, Satellite navigation with live traffic alerts, Bluetooth with audio streaming
- Head Up Display (HUD)
- Four door smart entry with card key
- Leather-accented interior
- 12-way front seats with three-position driver's memory
- Dual-zone climate control, Three-speed ventilated and heated front seats
- Self-dimming and heated exterior mirrors
F Sport (adds to Luxury spec)
- Sports suspension settings
- Lexus Dynamic Handling system (LDH) with Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS)
- Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS)
- VDIM Step 5, incorporating DRS
- Sports pedals
- Automatic High Beam (AHB)
- Unique interior trim with 18-way driver's sport bucket seats
- Unique sport body kit and grille
- Unique 19-inch alloy wheels
- Advanced Pre-Collision safety System with All-Speed Active Cruise Control+
- Larger front two-piece brake rotor with four piston caliper package
Sports Luxury (adds to Luxury spec)
- 12.3-inch multimedia system
- 835 watt 17-speaker Mark Levinson audio
- Driver Fatigue Monitor with eye detection
- Advanced Pre Collision safety System with All-Speed Active Cruise Control+
- 20-way adjustable front seats
- Tri-zone climate control with rear controls and Nanoe technology
- Automatic High Beam
- Semi-aniline leather accents, Wood grain trim
- Manual side and electric rear window sunshades
GS 450h Luxury models will also offer an enhancement pack featuring the Pre-Collision safety System with All-Speed Active Cruise Control.
GS 450h F Sport models can be optioned with a technology enhancement pack including LED headlights, 835-watt 17-speaker Mark Levinson Audio and the 12.3-inch multimedia display.
- GS 450h Luxury - $99,900
GS 450h Luxury + Enhancement pack $103,400
- GS 450h F Sport - $111,900
F Sport + Enhancement pack $116,900
- GS 450h Sports Luxury - $121,900
Note: prices are Manufacturer's List Price and do not include dealer delivery.
- Related News & Reviews at TMR ▼
- Lexus GS news and reviews | Lexus news and reviews
- Prestige Car news and reviews
- Family Car news and reviews