Land Rover, all going well, will be under the stewardship of India’s Tata Motors sometime around the middle of this year and it looks like Tata are buying in just as the iconic English brand stages a comeback.
Land Rover is experiencing record sales globally and strong growth locally, with Land Rover Australia starting this year with the best January sales figure on record – they have also closed the first quarter 81.7% up on last years' retail sales.
With sales on an upswing Land Rover is marking its 60th anniversary with a special edition Defender SVX model, which goes on sale in Australia in the second half of 2008.
The rugged Defender still bears a strong visual resemblance to its 1948 predecessor, but inside the SVX model boasts an array of modern comforts and features, such as satellite navigation, Recaro seats and iPod compatibility.
While most of the 25,000 Defenders produced each year are working tools for everyone from farmers to aid agencies, the 60th anniversary SVX special edition model is the most stylish and feature-packed versions that Land Rover has ever produced.
With metallic black paintwork, the Defender SVX will be available as a seven-seat 110 station wagon. Each model will come fitted with an individually numbered plaque. New exterior features include a restyled grille surround, tubular side-steps, unique alloy wheels, reinforced aluminium front undershield, clear-lens headlamps and LED reverse/rear fog lights.
Continuing the distinctive look, the interior of the SVX is equipped with custom-designed Recaro front seats, machined alloy gear knobs, a new audio system (with subwoofer and USB socket), iPod compatibility and Garmin satellite navigation.
A total of 1,800 Defender 110 SVXs will be produced worldwide, with a limited quantity making it to Australian shores. Pricing for the Defender 110 SVX is $62,990 RRP.
LAND ROVER 110 SVX - AUSTRALIAN SPECIFICATIONS
• 16" Alloy wheels with bright finish centre caps with silver logo
• Satin Black finish for intake covers and heater covers
• Body Coloured Wheel Arches
• Titan Bonnet Badging
• Front Grille and Headlamp Surround
• Front Undershield
• Side Steps
• Rear LED Bulbs (includes reverse and fog lamps)
• Santorini Black Metallic Paint
• SVX Metallic Badge
• Metallic Rear Defender Badge & Silver Land Rover Roundels
• Locking Wheel Nuts
• Body Coloured Roof
• Heated Rear Window and Wash Wipe
• Rear Mudflaps
• Front Mudflaps
• Rear Folding Step
• Rear Door Stowage Net
• Leather Recaro Front Seats
• Rear Seat Trim to Match Front Seats
• Garmin Satellite Navigation and Cradle
• Clarion High Ice Audio System with Upgraded Speakers, Sub Woofer and Amplifier
• iPOD Interface
• Metallic SVX Key Chain
• Numbered Commemorative Plaque
• Machined Aluminum Gear and diff knobs
• Titan Switch Panel
• Satin Black Body Wrap Decals
• Unique Cubby Box Lid with interior lights
• County Grey Leather/Dune Cloth Trim
• Air Conditioning
• Carpet Floor Mats
• Leather Steering Wheel
• 7 Seats
• Electric Front Windows
• Remote Central Locking
• Heated Front Windscreen
• Heated Front Seats
• Leather Bound Handbook Cover
Safety & Security Features:
• Anti-lock Braking System
• Electronic Traction Control
• Ventilated Disc Brakes
• Perimetric Alarm with Immobiliser
• First Aid Kit
• Fire Extinguisher