At a rain-soaked Suzuka track, Bianchi’s Marussia left the racing surface and collided with a recovery tractor which had been dispatched to clear another damaged car.
Bianchi had been in a coma ever since, and was under the care of a Nice hospital in the south of France.
However news of Bianchi’s unresponsive condition has been circulating in recent weeks, as it became increasingly apparent that the Frenchman was unlikely to ever recover from his injuries.
As a result, it’s believed his family made the decision to discontinue Bianchi’s treatment.
“Jules fought right to the very end, as he always did, but today his battle came to an end," Bianchi’s family said in a statement.
"We thank Jules's colleagues, friends, fans and everyone who has demonstrated their affection for him over these past months, which gave us great strength and helped us deal with such difficult times.”
"Listening to and reading the many messages made us realise just how much Jules had touched the hearts and minds of so many people all over the world."
The Manor F1 team, formerly Marussia, said Bianchi had left an "indelible mark on all our lives", while FIA President Jean Todt, offered his condolences to Bianchi’s family and friends.
Bianchi becomes the first F1 driver to die from injuries sustained in a race since the great Ayrton Senna died at Imola on May 1, 1994, while competing for the Williams team.
Jules Bianchi competed in 34 F1 Grands Prix over the 2013 and 2014 seasons, with a career-best ninth place coming at the 2014 Monaco event.
MORE: Kirk Kerkorian - Billionaire Automotive Investor Dead At 98
MORE News & Reviews: F1 | Racing
- Interested in buying ? Visit our showroom for more information.