Power for the new mill is down with the manual, but with torque figures tweaked in both transmissions and fuel economy significantly improved, Hyundai is betting on the trade-off being a welcome one.
The new 2.5 litre CRDi engine produces 100kW and 343Nm in manual form - down from 125kW and 392Nm with the outgoing 2.5 litre diesel - while the auto retains its 125kW output and boosts torque from 392 to 441Nm.
For the manual, the drop in power is due to the new engine using a standard waste-gate turbo, rather than the variable geometry turbo used with the automatic model.
The manual model's lower power is offset however by the new engine's peak torque arriving earlier, now available from 1500rpm to 2500rpm.
The five-speed automatic model offers peak torque in a narrower band than before, coming online from 2000 to 2250rpm. Peak power of 125kW is available at 3600rpm.
The real gains for the 2013 iMax and iLoad diesels are in fuel economy, with both manual and automatic models shedding significant fractions from their consumption figures.
For the diesel iLoad, fuel use is down to 8.0 l/100km with the manual and 8.8 l/100km for the auto - dropping from 8.5 and 9.6 l/100km respectively.
In people-moving iMax form, consumption is down to 8.1 and 9.0 l/100km, compared to 8.5 and 9.8 l/100km for the previous engine.
Petrol models in both ranges remain unchanged.
The updated iMax and iLoad are available now.
- Related News & Reviews at TMR ▼
- iMax news and reviews | iLoad news and reviews
- Hyundai news and reviews | LCV news and reviews
iLoad 3-seat Liftback Van
- 2.4-litre Petrol - five-speed man - $29,990
- 2.5-litre CRDi Diesel - six-speed man - $34,990
- 2.5-litre CRDi Diesel - five-speed auto - $37,490
iLoad 6-seat Liftback Crew Van
- 2.4-litre Petrol - five-speed man - $31,990
- 2.5-litre CRDi Diesel - six-speed man - $36,490
- 2.5-litre CRDi Diesel - five-speed auto - $38,990
iMax 8-seat shuttle
- 2.4-litre Petrol - five-speed auto - $37,290
- 2.5-litre CRDi Diesel - six-speed man - $39,990
- 2.5-litre CRDi Diesel - five-speed auto - $42,490
- Interested in buying HYUNDAI ILOAD? Visit our HYUNDAI ILOAD showroom for more information.