Hyundai’s updated i40 range is now on sale in Australia, kicking off from $33,090 for the sedan and $32,490 in Tourer wagon form.
Joining the brand-new Sonata, the refreshed i40 range has been streamlined for 2015: the number of available models has been slashed, and the sedan can no longer be had with a petrol engine.
And while the i40 remains a more expensive proposition than the Sonata, the German-designed midsizer’s pricing has been cut by up to $3600 across the range.
On the styling front, there’s Hyundai’s new family grille design, along with refreshed headlights and integrated LED daytime lamps.
There’s also LED fog lights up front, and new-design 16- and 18-inch alloy wheels.
The i40’s powertrain pair is revised for the new model year, with the 1.7 litre diesel’s numbers rising 4kW and 20Nm to 104kW at 4000rpm and 340Nm at 1750-2500rpm.
The wagon’s available petrol engine is the new 2.0 litre ‘Nu’ GDI engine with 121kW at 6200rpm and 203Nm at 4700rpm. This marks a 10kW and 11Nm defecit on the previous engine, but fuel consumption has improved 3.0 percent in the switch.
Diesel models are now equipped with Hyundai’s new seven-speed dual-clutch auto, replacing the six-speed auto previously offered. Thanks in part to this change, fuel consumption has dropped from 5.6 to 5.1 l/100km.
Fuel consumption with the 2.0 litre petrol engine, again matched to a conventional six-speed automatic, is listed at 7.5 l/100km.
Other upgrades include a new electric-assisted power steering system and a revised suspension design again tuned by Hyundai Australia’s local team.
The company says it has made significant improvements to the i40’s spring settings, dampers and stabiliser bars.
“We eventually settled on a combination which used a smaller front stabiliser bar to help deliver better road feedback and steering feel,” Hyundai’s Hee Loong Wong said.
“At the same time we were able to improve the ride of both Sedan and Tourer i40 Series II variants over undulating surfaces and handling on challenging surfaces, including those with mid-corner bumps.”
Hyundai Australia says that, as part of the local tuning program, it tested 30 separate suspension combinations, including 34 unique front and rear damper builds.
For 2015, the i40 range will be offered with Active and Premium models only.
The mid-spec Premium models have been dropped, along with the previous sedan range’s four petrol options.
In all, the 2015 i40 line-up has been cut from 12 to six models.
Standout feature upgrades for the entry i40 Active include a new 4.3-inch colour touch display in place of the previous model’s monotone screen, adding a reversing camera and digital iPod/iPhone connectivity.
A new rear armrest storage box with a flip-up cover has also been added to the rear row.
Rear storage capacity in the sedan is listed at 505 litres, while the wagon lists storage at 506 litres (rear seats up) and 1672 litres (down).
Towing capacity for all models is listed at 1500kg braked, 700kg unbraked.
- Nine airbags (driver & front passenger, driver & front passenger side/thorax, rear outboard side/thorax, full-length curtains, driver’s knee)
- Automatic dusk-sensing headlights
- Emergency Stop Signal
- LED Daytime Running Lights
- Hill-start Assist Control
- Front and rear parking assist system (8 sensors)
- Rear-view camera (new)
- 16-inch alloy wheels with 205/60 R16 tyres
- Keyless entry with burglar alarm
- 4.3-inch touchscreen audio system with CD player, MP3 capability, 6 speakers, media ripping/storage (new)
- AUX/USB audio input with digital iPod compatibility
- Bluetooth connectivity (hands-free phone & audio streaming)
- Steering wheel-mounted audio and phone controls
- Cruise control with steering wheel-mounted controls and speed-limiter function
- Electronic Park Brake
- Front and rear power windows with one-touch window up/down function on driver’s window
- Heated exterior mirrors
- Height-adjustable driver’s seat
- One-touch turn signal operation
- Premium gear knob and steering wheel
- Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters
- Tilt and telescopic steering column
- Trip computer
- Cloth interior
- LED high-mount stop light
- Manual air-conditioning with rear centre console cooling/heating ducts
- 60:40 split folding rear seats
- Cargo blind and safety barrier net (Tourer only)
- Roof rails (Tourer only)
i40 Premium (in addition to Active)
- 17-inch alloy wheels with 215/50 R17 tyres
- LED front fog lights
- 7-inch touchscreen satellite-navigation system with CD player, MP3 capability, external amplifier, seven speakers, three years’ HERE MapCare
- Dual-zone climate control with automatic windscreen defog function
- Electrochromatic (auto-dimming) interior mirror
- Electrically adjusted driver’s seat
- Heated front seats
- Lane Keeping Assist System
- One-touch up/down function on all windows
- Panoramic glass sunroof
- Proximity smart key with push button start
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Smart Parking Assist System
- Solar glass with tinted rear privacy glass
- 4.2-inch TFT LCD colour display in instruments Supervision cluster
- Alloy pedals
- Alloy-look interior doorhandles
- Brushed aluminium-effect dashboard/door inserts
- Luggage net
- Chrome inserts in exterior doorhandles
- Leather appointed seats
- Luggage rail (Tourer only)
- Power tailgate (open and close) (Tourer only)
- Smart tailgate (hands-free opening) (Tourer only)
PRICING (excludes on-road costs)
Sedan - diesel only
i40 Sedan Active - 1.7 diesel - $33,090 (down $1500)
i40 Sedan Premium - 1.7 diesel - $41,990 (down $3600)
Tourer wagon - petrol and diesel
i40 Tourer Active - 2.0 petrol - $32,490 (down $1500)
i40 Tourer Premium - 2.0 petrol - $41,390 (down $1500)
i40 Tourer Active - 1.7 diesel - $35,090 (down $1500)
i40 Tourer Premium - 1.7 diesel - $43,990 (down $3600)
- Interested in buying HYUNDAI ? Visit our HYUNDAI showroom for more information.