Hyundai’s refreshed 2015 i30 hatch range has landed in Australia, arriving with a revised model spread, new styling, more features and adjusted pricing.
Revealed in December, the updated i30 gets a wide new grille design, filled out with a series of black and chrome-finished louvres for a more premium look.
The refreshed model line up sees the range again kick off with the Active trim, joined now by a new Active X model.
The Elite model has been scrubbed, replaced now with the sporting SR model. The new SR Premium becomes the top model in the petrol range, while the diesel end is topped by its own Premium model.
Pricing is also revised for 2015, with petrol SR models shaved by up to $2400, thanks largely to many of the SR’s up-spec features shifting into the new SR Premium models.
The Premium model in the diesel range is also now $1400 more expensive.
See our full pricing list at the bottom of this article.
POWERTRAINS & SPECS
Hyundai’s 1.8 litre four-cylinder ‘Nu’ petrol engine continues into 2015, offering 107kW and 175Nm of torque.
Six-speed manual and automatic transmissions are on offer, with fuel consumption listed at 7.0 l/100km for the manual and 7.3 l/100km with the auto.
SR models are driven by a larger 2.0 litre 124kW/201Nm version of the Nu engine, again with six-speed manual and auto options.
Fuel consumption climbs in SR models to 7.3 l/100km with the manual and 7.7 l/100km for the automatic.
Both the 1.8 and 2.0 litre petrol engines are now compliant with Euro 5 emissions regulations.
Diesel models welcome a new 100kW 1.6 litre turbo engine, offering 260Nm of torque in six-speed manual models and 300Nm with the new seven-speed dual-clutch auto.
The manual diesel lists fuel use at a low 4.6 l/100km.
The auto uses more fuel at 4.9 l/100km, although this represents a 0.7 l/100km improvement over the six-speed diesel model it replaces.
All Australian-delivered Hyundai models benefit from a local suspension and steering tune specific to our roads, and the carmaker promises an extra-special tune for SR models for “sharp, responsive turn-in and improved handling”.
FEATURES & CAPACITIES
Standout features include a new 5.0-inch centre display for entry models, bringing new connectivity options and vision for the now standard reversing camera.
Internet connectivity is now offered with entry models, with Pandora radio baked in. Bluetooth and USB/iPod connections are also standard.
As a sign of the times, Active and Active X models now go without a CD player, although up-spec models - which again feature a 7.0-inch centre display - retain their disc-spinning capability.
SR, SR Premium and Premium models now feature LED daytime lights and tail lamps as standard, and a matte-black lower diffuser is also standard in the rear bumper of SR models.
Active models wear 16-inch steel wheels with new caps, while SR, SR Premium and Premium models get new 17-inch alloys.
Standard safety features include seven airbags, along with Electronic Stability Control with traction control, anti-lock braking, electronic brake-force distribution, brake assist and vehicle stability management.
Four parking sensors are standard, along with a reversing camera.
Rear storage space is listed at 378 litres with the rear seats up, and 1316 litres with the rear seats folded flat.
Braked and unbraked towing capacities, across the range, are listed at 1300kg and 500kg respectively.
- 7 airbags - driver & front passenger, driver & front passenger side (thorax), full length curtains, driver’s knee
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) including: Traction Control System (TCS), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist System (BAS), Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
- Rear parking assist system (4 sensors)
- Rear-view camera
- 16-inch steel wheels with 205/55R16 tyres
- Keyless entry with burglar alarm
- 5.0-inch touchscreen audio system with MP3 capability, 6 speakers, media ripping/storage and Pandora internet radio capability via tethering with smartphone
- AUX / USB audio input with digital iPod compatibility. Bluetooth connectivity (hands-free phone & audio streaming)
- Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
- Cruise control with steering wheel-mounted controls
- Front & rear power windows
- Height-adjustable driver’s seat
- One-touch turn signal operation (3, 5, or 7 flashes)
- One-touch window-down on driver’s window
- Tilt & telescopic steering column
- Trip computer
- Cloth interior
- LED high-mount stoplight
- Manual air-conditioning with rear heating ducts
- 60:40 split-folding rear seats
Active X (in addition to Active features)
- 16-inch alloy wheels with machined-face finish and gunmetal-grey inserts
- Leather-appointed interior trim
- Premium steering wheel, gearknob, door trim and instruments panel hood
- Electric folding exterior mirrors with side repeaters
- Alloy-look interior doorhandles
- Illuminated sun visors, ambient lighting for the front centre console storage area and driver’s seat back pocket
SR (in addition to Active X features)
- 2.0 GDi petrol engine (+17kW & 26Nm over 1.8 MPi)
- 17-inch alloy wheels in gunmetal grey finish with 225/45R17 tyres
- LED daytime running lights
- LED tail-lights with bulb turn signal & reverse lights
- Sports front grille in gunmetal grey with satin chrome highlights
- Rear bumper lower diffuser in matte black (exclusive to SR models)
- Automatic dusk-sensing headlights
- 7.0-inch touchscreen satellite-navigation system with CD player & 3 years’ HERE MapCareTM
- Dual-zone climate-control with automatic windscreen defog function
- Proximity smart key with push-button start
- Electric folding external mirrors with integrated LED side repeater lights
- Alloy look interior door handles
- Alloy sports pedals
- Premium gearknob and steering wheel
- Illuminated door handles, puddle lights, and sun visors
Premium and SR Premium (in addition to SR features)
- High Intensity Discharge (HID) Xenon headlights with washer system and auto-levelling
- Electrochromatic auto-dimming interior mirror
- Electrically adjusted driver’s seat (10-way)
- Electronic Park-Brake (EPB)
- Heated and air-ventilated front seats
- Leather upholstery
- Rear-seat cooling vents in centre console
- Rear-seat centre armrest
- Chrome belt-line moulding
- Panoramic glass sunroof
- Cargo net
- One-touch window up/down function on all windows
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Sun visor extensions
- Supervision cluster with colour TFT LCD display
PRICING (excludes on-road costs)
- Active petrol manual - $20,990
- Active petrol auto - $23,290 (up $50)
- Active diesel manual - $23,590
- Active diesel auto - $25,890 (up $50)
- Active X petrol manual - $22,090 (new)
- Active X petrol auto - $24,390 (new)
- Active X diesel manual - $24,690 (new)
- Active X diesel auto - $26,990 (new)
- SR petrol manual - $25,590 (down $2400)
- SR petrol auto - $27,890 (down $2300)
- SR Premium petrol manual - $30,590 (new)
- SR Premium petrol auto - $32,890 (new)
- Premium diesel auto - $34,490 (up $1400)
Drive-away pricing special for April 2015
- Active petrol manual - $19,990
- Active petrol auto - $21,990
- Active diesel manual - $23,990
- Active diesel auto - $25,990
- Active X petrol manual - $21,490
- Active X petrol auto - $22,990
- Active X diesel manual - $24,990
- Active X diesel auto - $26,990
- Premium diesel auto - $33,990