Holden’s new Cascada convertible is now on sale in Australia, available in just one mechanical specification and with a starting price of $41,990.
A limited ‘Launch Edition’ model is also on offer, adding unique features and boosting the price to $44,990 before on-roads.
Revealed with an Opel badge back in 2012, the Cascada’s initial potential for a local debut was routed when the German brand’s push into Australia was killed the following year.
This time last year, however, Holden announced that it would again look to Opel for new and more stylish offerings, once again opening the door for the Cascada.
Now it’s here, largely identical to the Cascada offered in the Opel and Vauxhall ranges overseas, but with the familiar Holden lion badge at both ends.
The new convertible arrives as something of a successor to the Astra TwinTop cabrio that was offered with the previous generation Astra in the mid 2000s.
The extra length brings an obvious advantage, though, with the Cascada more of a ‘proper’ four-seater than the Astra TwinTop and its glorified parcel shelf could ever manage.
POWERTRAIN & SPECIFICATIONS
Power in the Cascada is provided by the same direct-injected 1.6 litre turbo petrol engine featured in Holden’s reborn Astra GTC range, offering 125kW and 260Nm of torque.
A six-speed auto is the only transmission on offer, and fuel consumption for the exclusively front-wheel-drive Cascada is listed at 7.5 l/100km.
100kW 1.4 petrol and 122kW 2.0 litre diesel models are available in Europe, along with a six-speed manual option, but those configurations are not on the agenda for Australia.
Like the Astra, the Cascada is equipped with the Opel’s HiPer Strut front suspension system, wrangling torque to provide cleaner steering under acceleration. At the rear is a compound crank torsion beam with a Watt’s link setup.
Holden says the Cascada’s rear bushes have been tuned to reduce interior noise from the course chip road surfaces that are common in Australia.
The company also promises that, despite its droptop convertible design, the Cascada has been designed with a focus on strength and rigidity, offering “solid cornering performance”. (Watch for TMR’s review on that claim this week.)
Standard kit with the Cascada includes 18-inch alloys with a 17-inch steel space-saver wheel, leather-appointed seats, alloy sports pedals and Holden’s MyLink Infotainment system with satellite navigation and online radio apps.
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- 17-inch steel space saver spare wheel
- Electric folding acoustically insulated roof
- Sports suspension
- Electric park brake
- Heated power outside mirrors
- Heated front sports seats
- Leather appointed trim perforated Siena seats
- Alloy sports pedals
- Satellite navigation
- Cruise control
- Rear view camera
- Dual zone air conditioning
- Electric Power Steering (EPS)
- Front and Rear Park Assist
- ISOFIX child seat anchorage system (two positions)
- Auto projector headlamps (halogen), daytime lights and front fog lamps
- Rain sensing wipers
- Heated leather steering wheel
- Enhanced multi-function display (one colour) with: Vehicle information, menu, Trip information menu, Fuel economy menu, Warning/messages
- Holden MyLink Infotainment System with 7-inch colour screen display
- Integrated apps: Pandora, Stitcher, Tune In Radio
- digital radio
- Single CD player with MP3 capability
- Universal hands free with Bluetooth
- Bluetooth audio streaming, USB and auxiliary input jack
In ‘Launch Edition’ form, limited to 50 units, the Cascada adds 20-inch alloys, ventilated Nappa leather sports seats, leather sports steering wheel and adaptive Bi-Xenon headlights with LED daytime lights.
The Cascada also features a triple-layered acoustic power-folding roof that can be retracted in 17 seconds, while driving at speeds of up to 50km/h.
Like many convertibles, rear storage is not the Cascada’s strong suit. With the roof in place, there’s 380 litres available, but that drops to 280 litres when the roof is stowed for droptop motoring.
The Cascada is available in five colours: Summit white, Carbon Flash black, Phantom grey, Deep Sky blue and Nitrate silver.
PRICING (excludes on-road costs)
- Cascada, automatic $41,990
- Cascada Launch Edition, automatic $44,990