The first race of the inaugural FIA Formula E electric racing series is drawing nearer, with China set to open the championship in September.
Earlier this year we saw the new Spark-Renault SRT_01E racer in action, unleashing some doughnuts in Las Vegas for the Consumer Electronics Show.
Now, the first batch of Formula E racers - 10 in total - have been delivered to their teams ahead of the September launch. Each team will take delivery of another three cars by early July.
That announcement follows news that the Formula E series, whose teams include backing from Leonardo DiCaprio and Sir Richard Branson, has been given a €50 million funding boost this week.
"What started out as an idea, is now becoming a reality, Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag said this week.
“With the first cars delivered to the teams and works beginning around the Olympic Park in Beijing, Formula E is moving closer to its goal to show fans around the world the true potential of electric cars.”
The latest backers to get on-board the new series include American tech company Qualcomm and private equity firm Amura Capital.
Other faces involved with the series include Alain Prost, Jarno Trulli and Nick Heidfeld, along with Jaime Alguersuari, Lucas di Grassi and Michael Andretti.
The Formula E field will star 40 cars all up, with races will held exclusively on street circuits.
Every Formula E car will be capable of accelerating to 100km/h in three seconds, while maximum speed will be limited to 220km/h.
Pre-season testing begins on July 3 at the UK’s Donington Park, and the first race will open in Beijing on September 13.
Formula E 2014-15 Calendar
- China - Beijing - 13 September 2014
- Malaysia - Putrajaya - 18 October 2014
- Uruguay - Punta del Este - 13 December 2014
- Argentina - Buenos Aires - 10 January 2015
- TBA - TBA - 14 February 2015
- United States - Miami - 14 March 2015
- United States - Los Angeles - 4 April 2015
- Monaco - Monte Carlo - 9 May 2015
- Germany - Berlin - 30 May 2015
- United Kingdom - London - 27 June 2015
- Interested in buying ? Visit our showroom for more information.