0 Comments
F1: Rosberg Punished But Mercedes Duo 'Free To Race' Photo:
 
 
TMR Team | Aug, 30 2014 | 0 Comments

Nico Rosberg apologised to his teammate Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes on Friday, after the German was punished by the team for last Sunday's crash.

Earlier on Friday, bosses Toto Wolff and Paddy Lowe met with the championship leader and Hamilton at Brackley, where Rosberg "acknowledged his responsibility" for the lap 2 incident at Spa "and apologised".

"Suitable disciplinary measures have been taken for the incident," the media statement announced.

But despite warning earlier that the era of 'free racing' may now be over, Mercedes said on Friday it "remains committed to hard, fair racing because this is the right way to win world championships".

"It has been made clear that another such incident will not be tolerated," the statement added. "But Nico and Lewis are our drivers and we believe in them.

"They remain free to race" for the world championship, Mercedes said.

Shortly after the Mercedes statement, Rosberg posted his own statement on Facebook.

It said he has spent "a lot of time thinking" about the Spa incident since Sunday.

"I have already expressed my regret about the incident but, after meeting with Toto, Paddy and Lewis today, I wish to go a step further and describe it as an error of judgement on my part," said Rosberg.

"For that error of judgement, I apologise to Lewis and the team. I also want to say sorry to the fans who were deprived of our battle for the lead in Belgium.

"As drivers, we have a clear responsibility to the team, the fans of the sport, our partners and Mercedes-Benz to deliver clean racing.

"I look forward to concluding the season with hard, fair competition on and off track right up to the final lap of the season in Abu Dhabi," added Rosberg.

(GMM)

 

Teen Verstappen 'not ready' for 2015 debut - Hakkinen

Mika Hakkinen has added yet another disparaging response to the news Max Verstappen will make history next year as by far F1's youngest ever driver.

And the 1998 and 1999 world champion does not only criticise Red Bull's decision to sign the young Dutchman just half a year out of karts, but also his former F1 rival Jos Verstappan, who is Max's father and manager.

"In no case is a driver ready for formula one at 16 or 17," Hakkinen said in an interview with his sponsor Hermes.

Hakkinen, who was involved in Valtteri Bottas' management and also has a son (Hugo) in the world of highly-competitive karting, insisted: "Either as a manager or a father, I would never let a driver as young as that race in F1.

"It's too early, and if it fails, it can cause considerable damage," Hakkinen added.

Meanwhile, Hakkinen said Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo cannot be ruled out of the running for the 2014 world championship, amid the escalating in-team battle between dominant Mercedes' warring teammates.

"Mercedes' dominance has decreased compared to what we saw at the beginning of the season," he noted.

"In my view, Ricciardo is dangerous.

"He drives for a team that has won the championship several times in a row, they have a lot of experience in these situations and show a lot of composure.

"At Mercedes, there is more pressure and the conflict between the drivers is not helpful to the aim of bringing home the title," Hakkinen added.

And he predicted that despite Mercedes' concerted efforts to cool the feud between Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton, the pair will continue to wage their war.

"Both drivers will be saying 'Hey, I want to be world champion'.

"Of course," Hakkinen explained, "the team can implement internal rules, like collisions early in the race cannot happen under any circumstances.

"But then the next race comes. I believe that despite every effort, no one will be able to stop the intense competition between Nico and Lewis."

(GMM)

 

Early debut for teen Verstappen 'really bad' - Salo

Mika Salo has added his voice to concerns about the 2015 debut of teenager Max Verstappen.

Finn Salo, who raced in F1 against the 16-year-old's father Jos, backed 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve who has questioned whether Verstappen's signing by Toro Rosso is good for F1.

"I think it's really bad for formula one," Salo, now a pundit for Finnish television, told MTV3.

"In my opinion, a guy that young should not be allowed to drive in F1. It should be the very top category of racing for which drivers train for years.

"F1 is not a junior series," he insisted.

Salo, who raced for Sauber and Toyota and even Ferrari, also said Verstappen risks being thrown into the deep end and having a promising career ruined early.

"What happens when it doesn't work out after two years? An unemployed F1 driver at the age of 19," he said.

The freshly F1-retired Mark Webber also weighed into the debate, laughing to Austrian Servus TV that Verstappen's 2015 debut rules out any hopes of a return to the category for himself.

"I had a wonderful career, but when I see that a 17-year-old is coming into formula one, I think it's not hard to see that it's over when you're 38!"

Red Bull, however, is strenuously defending its decision to sign F1's youngest ever rookie, with Dr Helmut Marko arguing that while other teams "talk about young talents, we make it a reality".

"I bet 100 euros that in his first race Verstappen will be able to compete with (Daniil) Kvyat," he is quoted by Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

Meanwhile, Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost said that while Verstappen is ousting Jean-Eric Vergne in 2014, that doesn't mean the 24-year-old Frenchman is a bad driver.

In fact, "Of the drivers we have had, I think he (Vergne) is the best, although Sebastien Buemi also did a good job and has shown talent for Toyota (at Le Mans)," Tost is quoted by Brazil's Totalrace.

"I hope he (Vergne) has the chance to develop and to show more, because for me, he deserves to be in formula one," he added.

(GMM)

 
TMR Comments

Finance Calculator

Repayment is : $

Latest Comments
 
The size of your tyre is located on the sidewall of your tyre.
It will be similar to the sample below.