In 2009, Kimi Raikkonen left the Ferrari F1 racing team. Later, in a 2012 interview, he described his departure as "a relief".
Now, a new report with Finnish newspaper Ilta-Sanomat suggests the 2007 world champion will return to the home of the Prancing Horse next year.
The Finn, whose two-year rallying sabbatical began after Ferrari ended his contract and signed Fernando Alonso for 2010, had been more strongly linked with a move from Lotus to Red Bull.
Ilta-Sanomat said its report was based on the information of its "sources".
The newspaper added that Red Bull team owner Dietrich Mateschitz is keen to sign Ferrari's current number 1 Fernando Alonso for 2014, despite the Spaniard's long contract.
Many in the paddock, however, see the prospect of Alonso's pairing with reigning multiple world champion Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull as highly unlikely.
"I was surprised by these (media) reports," admitted Daniel Juncadella, a young Spanish driver who is being linked with a future at the Williams team.
"It's quite hard to believe," he told Russia's Championat. "Of course he would have a very good chance to become world champion again if he was at Red Bull -- but we'll see."
Sauber denies Russian rescue has collapsed
Sauber has hit back at reports its Russian rescue deal has collapsed.
German-language reports had said the release of millions in crucial backing for the almost insolvent Swiss team had been voted down this week by Russia's National Institute of Aviation Technologies (NIAT).
And the DPA news agency even quoted NIAT chief Oleg Sirotkin, whose son Sergey is scheduled to race for Sauber in 2014, as saying the entity cannot afford to fund a formula one team.
But in a statement to German-language media outlets, Sauber hit back by insisting that NIAT's "contribution" to the Russian rescue deal was "never intended" to be "financial".
Sauber explained that NIAT's contribution is, instead, "a technical cooperation".
"We are surprised how readily some media put rumours and false reports into the world," the Swiss team added.
Sauber said a contract with 17-year-old Sergey Sirotkin for 2014 remains on track, and that a media statement outlining his preparation for the seat will be released as soon as the August shutdown period is over.
As for suggestions not a single Russian ruble has flowed to the team amid the increasing impatience of unpaid suppliers like Ferrari and Pirelli, Sauber insisted: "The first contractually-guaranteed payments have already been made".
'Good chance' of race future at Williams - Juncadella
Daniel Juncadella has confirmed he is in the running for a future with the Williams team.
The Spaniard was signed up by the Grove team's 2014 engine supplier, Mercedes, to race in the German touring car series DTM this year.
Another link that could pay off for Juncadella is his sponsor deal with the Kazakhstan investment company TAK Group, to promote the capital Astana.
TAK's Artur Ardavichus said in June: "Astana wants Dani to progress and gain experience with Williams, to prepare him to be a formula one driver with Mercedes."
Juncadella initially played down those comments, but reports now suggest the Spaniard could be groomed for a race seat by Williams in the same way that Valtteri Bottas was.
The 22-year-old drove Williams' 2013 car at the recent Silverstone test, and has now told Russia's Championat: "We'll see what happens in the future.
"Next year, Williams and Mercedes will have the same engine, and so Mercedes can send its young and inexperienced drivers to a team it is connected with, where the driver has the opportunity to show his potential.
"There is a good chance that in a few years I can become the main driver for Williams. We'll see. First I need to show strong results."
Juncadella also revealed he could contest the pre-season winter tests ahead of the 2014 season, and then make appearances on Friday mornings at grands prix.
Asked if he was talking about driving a Williams or a Mercedes, he answered: "I cannot say. But I think in 2014 there may be some surprises."