The vast majority of the formula one race promoters are threatening to boycott the sport over proposed engine rules for the future.
The FIA is set to scrap the controversial four-cylinder rules for 2013 after the teams and engine makers agreed instead to run turbo V6 engines in 2014.
But every grand prix race promoter except China and Korea remains unhappy, signing a letter threatening to drop F1 and instead host Indycar events if the rev-limit does not remain at 18,000 in 2014 and beyond.
The letter, dated one day after last week's F1 Commission meeting in London, said the sound of the new engine rules in the future "is to be the same as the current (V8) engine".
F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone on Sunday told the German news agency SID that he was aware of the letter and supported the promoters.
Australian Grand Prix Corporation chairman Walker, from whose office the letter was penned, is quoted by the UK Express newspaper as saying the proposed low-revving engine "would be like a tin can rattling".
"We are not going to have our customer base destroyed. I told them (the FIA) that the circuits would not run it. The sound is part of the brand," Walker said.
Walker also confirmed that Ecclestone backs the promoters' position.
Haug insists Schumacher has three-year contract
Norbert Haug has dismissed the latest speculation on Michael Schumacher's contract.
At Valencia, Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn suggested that the seven time world champion's current three-year contract might be in fact a two-year deal with an option for 2012.
But Haug, the German carmaker's motor racing vice-president, insisted on Monday: "Michael says himself that he has a three-year contract. Until then we are not thinking even a bit about what is going to happen."
However, 42-year-old Schumacher said when he returned last year that he is not interested in racing in F1's midfield.
But Haug has told the German news agency SID that Brackley based Mercedes GP is yet to make its most difficult step.
"The fact is that in this business there are three top teams, and we have established ourselves as the fourth," he said.
"I don't think you jump so easily from fourth to first. From sixth to fourth is already difficult, but from fourth to third, second and first -- those are the hardest steps," insisted Haug.
He refuses to blame Mercedes' budget.
"We can't hide behind it, because I don't think it is the limiting factor," said Haug. "We definitely don't have the highest budget, but it is good enough. So we need to keep working."
Hamilton criticises McLaren for swerving 'risk'
Jun.27 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton left Valencia unhappy that McLaren has not taken more risks in the development of the 2011 car.
The MP4-26, recently Red Bull's closest challenger, struggled on the streets of Valencia, leaving Jenson Button pleading for "some really good upgrades" for Silverstone and beyond.
"We need to take some risks," said the 2009 world champion. "I do know of some new parts that are coming but we need some more."
Now approaching 100 points behind runaway championship leader Sebastian Vettel, Hamilton and also Ferrari's Fernando Alonso on Sunday wrote off their 2011 title chances.
And Hamilton sounded critical of his McLaren bosses.
"They didn't want to take the risk," the 26-year-old is quoted by the Telegraph. "For safety reasons.
"The question is whether or not we would have finished (the race) if we had taken the risk, but then that is what risk is all about.
"We had another couple of tenths available to us which I think would have been quite strong and it would have helped look after our tyres," added Hamilton.
The Briton admitted that the risky components ruled out by his bosses related to exhaust blowing. "I pushed as hard as I could (to have them)," he insisted.
Team principal Martin Whitmarsh, however, appeared to lay the blame elsewhere for his drivers' poor afternoons.
"It was a tough afternoon for the guys which was a consequence of starts which weren't optimal," he is quoted by the Guardian. "Then we were overheating the tyres."