You may already know the DS5 as a member of the Citroen family, but to co-incide with it’s midlife update the DS5 steps out of the Citroen shadow, being the first model to wear DS Automobiles branding.
The move comes as DS Automobiles tries to push itself into a new role as the top tier of PSA Peugeot-Citroen’s restructured line-up.
For 2015 the DS5 wears a fresh face, hardly a huge departure from the previous look, but notable for the deletion of Citroen’s double chevron grille, replaced instead with the ‘DS wings’ grille that will be slowly spread across the DS Automobiles line-up between now and 2018.
Pricing also moves upwards by $5000, with the single D Sport model priced from $56,990. DS Automobiles offers an additional $6000 of equipment in the process and claims the new standard equipment reflects the options previous DS5 buyers were likely to add to their vehicles.
As well as new front end styling the DS5 also picks up a new 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment unit, which clears up some of the button clutter on the console and centre stack and brings a reverse camera and DAB+ digital radio.
LED and Xenon combination head lights with cornering function, LED fog lights and scrolling indicators are also new. Safety is boosted by the addition of blind spot monitoring.
Larger 18-inch alloy wheels take the place of the previous 17-inch alloys.
Along with the standard D Sport models, a limited edition 60th anniversary special, celebrating 60 years since the release of the original Citroen DS will be available.
Just 30 units are available with additional standard features including watch strap leater seats, Denon audio upgrade, DS metal trim highlights, DS roof decal, DS mirror caps (except in white cars), premium paint, and 19-inch alloy wheels.
Standard equipment across the range includes:
- LED and bi-xenon headlamps, LED DRL & LED scrolling Indicator
- LED front fog lights with static cornering function
- Blind Spot Monitoring
- 18" “Twist” black alloy wheels with inflation kit
- 7” Touchscreen with MirrorLink & DAB+ Radio
- Black Leather Trim
- Anti-theft alarm
- Leather steering wheel with chrome insert
- Analog timepiece
- Electronic handbrake
- Cruise control with speed limiter and memory settings
- Radio with CD & MP3, Connecting box + Bluetooth (USB & Aux)
- Security pack (Six airbags and seatbelt warning light)
- Floor mats
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Interior LED mood lighting
- Electrically adjustable, folding and heated door mirrors
- Auto pack (dual zone automatic digital air conditioning, rain-sensitive wipers, auto illumination of headlamps, electrochrome rear view mirror)
- Colour heads up display
- eMyWay sat nav with reversing camera and guide lines
- Heated front seats with electric lumbar adjustment and massage function
- Keyless entry and push button start
- Cockpit roof with toggle switches and 3-part glass roof with individual electric sunblinds
Optional equipment includes single or dual-tone watch strap leather ($2700), Denon Hi-Fi upgrade ($800), premium paint ($800), pearlescent paint ($1000), and 19” alloy wheels ($2000).
Under the bonnet of the DS5 lies a new Blue HDi 180 2.0 litre turbo diesel, teamed with a six-speed automatic delivering power to the front wheels.
With 140kW and 400Nm of torque the old enfine out-guns the previous diesel by 13kW and 60Nm.
The new engine also shaves one second off the 0-100 km/h sprint time with a run of 9.2 seconds. Fuel consumption also drops to 4.5 l/100km on the combined cycle, an improvement of 1.6 l/100km.
The previous petrol powered variant has been dropped due to lack of demand.
DS5 D Sport $56,990
DS5 60th anniversary $59,990