You have to love British sports car specialist Caterham – when the company had finished developing an upgraded, more powerful engine package for its motorsport program it did the right thing and fitted it to a new road-going model.
The result is the Caterham Seven 310.
With changes for the naturally-aspirated 1.6 litre four-cylinder engine such as better camshafts and a do-over of the ECU, power is up by 13kW to 114kW.
Driving the rear wheels via a five-speed manual transmission, that extra punch shaves 0.2 seconds from the zero to 100km/h time meaning the new Caterham Seven 310 stops the clock at 4.8 seconds.
Top speed is 203km/h.
Oh, and you can also option LED headlights – a first for Caterham.
In Britain, existing Caterham Seven 270 owners can update their powerplants with a pack priced from around $2,000.
“When we were going through the engineering process on the race engine upgrade, we had one eye of the aftermarket, of course,” explained Caterham’s motorsport chief Simon Lambert. “But once the re-worked car hit the road, we knew it was far too good to be marketed simply as an option (and) the Seven 310 was born.”
TMR spoke to Caterham Cars Australia boss Chris van Wyk, who explained Caterham models ending with a zero are UK specification cars and at this stage there is no official word on a 310 version for Europe and the rest of the world.
From mid this year, Caterham Australia will have its widest range of cars ever available to order for Australian customers:
- Seven 275 (new lower price entry-level model) - $69,850 (plus on-roads)
- Seven 275 S (a new higher specification version) - $83,300 (plus on-roads)
- Seven 355 (a new 2.0-litre model) - $86,900 (plus on-roads)
- Seven 355 S (comfort specification variant) - $93,900 (plus on-roads)
- Seven 355 R (track day variant) - $99,800 (plus on-roads)
- Seven CSR (mid-specification comfort variant) - $103,30 (plus on-roads)
- Seven 485 S (the range-topping performance model) - $114,400 (plus on-roads)
- Seven 485 R (track day variant) - $127,000 (plus on-roads)