Chaz Mostert has completed a successful return to racing at Mount Panorama in Bathurst, by claiming outright honours in the 2016 Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6-Hour.
In the inaugural running of the production car endurance event, Mostert teamed up with Nathan Morcom in a BMW 335i to take line-honours by almost a lap - overcoming a 10-place grid penalty in the process.
For their outright win, Mostert and Morcom also claimed victory in Class B1 (high performance, forced induction) with their nearest Class B1 rivals, the Sherrin/Sherrin/Ayres BMW 135i, also stepping onto the podium by finishing second outright.
V8 Supercar regular Mostert shrugged off his winning effort in his first race at Mount Panorama since his season-ending collision during practice for last year’s 1000km touring car event, saying the team played the most significant part in the victory.
“In the last stint we were conserving and looking after the car,” Mostert said.
“It had done five hours and it would’ve been a shame for something to go wrong in the last hour and we were just nursing it around.”
“It’s all down to the boys on the car, the way they did the engine change on Friday night was incredible and they’ve worked so hard. The trophy and the champagne [are] down to them.”
While Mostert and Morcom ran a controlled race in their 335i, good early pace was shown by the only Mercedes in the event - the AMG A 45 of Walden/Porter - which lead at the one-hour mark before electrical problems eventually saw them retire after 48 laps.
The winning car covered 125 laps, or over 776km, crossing the line after 6h04m04.6s. Of the 50 starters, 33 greeted the chequered flag.
For fans of the ‘good ‘ol days’ at ‘The Mountain’, the 6-Hour delivered in spades with a field comprising everything from a Mercedes-AMG to a Suzuki Swift Sport.
The 6-Hour event formed part of the 2016 Bathurst Motor Festival, the Easter meeting attracting 16,151 fans over the three days of its first running.
MORE: Bathurst 12-Hour 2016 - Tekno Autosports McLaren Holds Off Fast-Finishing Nissan
MORE News & Reviews: Racing | Bathurst | BMW
2016 HI-TEC OILS BATHURST 6-HOUR
- #11 - Morcom/Mostert - BMW 335i -Class B1 - 125 laps
- #19 - Sherrin/Sherrin/Ayres - BMW 135i - Class B1 - 125 laps
- #20 - Wall/Bowe - Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IX - Class A1 - 124 laps
- #8 - Caine/Murphy - Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X - Class A1 - 124 laps
- #7 - Pollicina/O'Dowd - Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X - Class A1 - 123 laps
Class A1 - Extreme Performance Forced Induction
- #20 - Wall/Bowe - Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IX - 124 laps (third outright)
Class A2 - Extreme Performance Naturally-Aspirated
- #69 - Virag/Gray/Millett - Holden VE/HSV GTS - 120 laps (sixth outright)
Class B1 - High Performance Forced Induction
- #11 - Morcom/Mostert - BMW 335i - 125 laps (first outright)
Class B2 - High Performance Naturally-Aspirated
- #14 - Walden/Auld/Bloomfield - Holden VE - 116 laps (13th outright)
Class C - Performance
- #88 - Eddy/Jouy - Renault Megane RS 265 - 118 laps (eighth outright)
Class D - Production
- #3 - Reeves/Caine - Toyota 86 GTS - 118 laps (tenth outright)
Class E - Compact
- #96 - Agathos/Duckworth - Nissan Pulsar N15 - 114 laps (22nd outright)
Class I - Invitational
- #67 - Kearns/Cowham - Ford Falcon AU - 116 laps (15th outright)