Hyundai has taken a cleaver to the price of its Accent light car, in the process fettling the model range to better fill the hole left by the departing i20 hatch.
The two-model accent range now kicks off from $14,990 for the Accent Active, available in both hatch and sedan.
Active models come powered by a 1.4 litre engine, paired to either a six-speed manual, or for the first time in an Australian Hyundai, a CVT automatic.
A more sporty Accent SR hatch is still available with a direct-injected 1.6 litre engine and a choice of six-speed manual or six-speed automatic.
Prices for Active and SR models have dropped by $2000, but there is no replacement for the top-spec Elite sedan.
Hyundai’s 1.4 litre ‘Kappa’ engine now powers the Accent Active. It produces 74kW at 6000rpm and 133Nm at 3500rpm.
It takes the place of the previous 1.6 MPi engine and drops 17kW and 23Nm in the process.
Weight-saving and friction-reduction efforts in the 1.4 litre engine see it able to return fuel consumption figures of 5.7 l/100km as a manual or 6.2 l/100km as an automatic.
Technical highlights for the 1.4 litre engine include dual overhead cams, dual continuously variable valve timig, and two-step variable induction.
The optional CVT transmission is designed to maximise torque at low engine speeds and steps in for Hyundai’s previous four speed automatic. The CVT also includes a manual mode with six simulated gear ratios.
SR hatch models stick with a direct injected 1.6 litre engine that generates a more lively 103kw at 6300rpm and 167Nm at 4850rpm.
The SR can be had with a six-speed manual, or six-speed hydraulic automatic as an option. Fuel consumption is rated at 6.1 l/100km for the manual and 6.6 l/100km for the automatic.
Despite the new, lower pricing the Accent still comes equipped with a suite of safety equipment including six airbags.
In the cabin there's a five-inch touchscreen audio system with Bluetooth connectivity, and in-biult storage. Cloth trim, power windows, a trip computer and power windows are also part of the standard features list.
- 6 airbags: driver & front passenger, driver & front passenger side, full-length curtain
- Electronic Stability Control
- Traction Control System
- Anti-lock Braking System
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution
- Brake Assist System
- Vehicle Stability Management
- 14-inch steel wheels with 175/70R14 tyres
- 5-inch touchscreen audio system with CD player, MP3 capability, 6 speakers, media ripping/storage
- AUX/USB audio input with digital iPod compatibility
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
- Front and rear power windows
- Height-adjustable driver’s seat
- One-touch turn signal operation
- Trip computer
- Cloth interior
- Manual air-conditioning
SR (in addition to Active)
- 16-inch machined-face alloy wheels with 195/50R16 tyres
- Automatic dusk-sensing headlights
- Front foglights
- LED daytime running lights
- Projector-beam headlights
- Cruise control with steering wheel-mounted controls
- Deluxe front centre floor console with storage compartment
- Front centre armrest with sliding function
- Premium gearknob and steering wheel
- Roof-mounted rear spoiler
- Active 1.4 manual $14,990
- Active 1.4 CVT $16,990
- SR 1.6 manual $16990
- SR 1.6 automatic $18,990
MORE: Hyundai News and Reviews
- Interested in buying HYUNDAI ACCENT? Visit our HYUNDAI ACCENT showroom for more information.