Peugeot's all-new 'T9' 2015 308 range has touched down in Australia, entering as a bold and modern player in the crucial small-car market.
Peugeot says the 2015 308 boasts massively improved materials and build quality, while packing more features and standard equipment than before.
Among the new 308's standout design features are the carmaker's small new chrome-framed grille design and sharpened LED-rich headlights.
The new model also boasts a more angular profile and arrow-like tail-lights.
Coming off the back of taking out the top prize in the 2014 European Car of the Year awards, the 308 could be just what the doctor ordered for Peugeot's Australian arm.
Models & Powertrains
The T9 308 family starts with the 308 Access hatch manual at $21,990. It’s the only manual in the range, and can be replaced by a six-speed auto for an extra $2000.
The Active is next, available only as an auto with the same 96kW/230Nm 1.2 litre turbocharged three-cylinder engine as the Access.
The Allure grade will be the top-spec model from launch, and is expected to account for the bulk of sales. It’s also the only trim level available with a diesel (for now), and also the only one that can be had in wagon form.
Late in the first quarter of 2015, more models will join the 308 range.
The Allure Premium will be one of them, powered by a 110kW/240Nm 1.6 litre turbo petrol engine, and so will 1.6 litre versions of the Allure hatch and Allure Touring wagon.
The flagship 308 GT will also arrive in the first quarter - in hatch form only - available with a 151kW/285Nm version of the 1.6 litre petrol or a 133kW/400Nm 2.0 litre turbo diesel.
The T9 308’s $815 million EMP2 platform is Peugeot’s newest modular architecture, and also underpins the Citroen C4 Picasso.
Designed with light weight in mind, the new platform has enabled Peugeot to make the new 308 around 140kg lighter than its predecessor.
It’s slipperier too. A 5cm lower roof height for the hatch, underbody fairings and active air-shutters in the grille help bring the coefficient of drag down from 0.29 to 0.28.
The new 308 Touring wagon is 8cm lower than before, but has a 2cm longer wheelbase and is 8cm longer overall. The hatch also gets a longer wheelbase, but only by 1.2cm.
This all translates into a car that’s sleeker, but more spacious.
Interior space has grown: the hatch can pack up to 398 litres of luggage with the seats up, while the Touring can swallow 588 litres without dropping a seat or removing the cargo blind.
- 15-inch steel wheels
- LED daytime running lamps
- electric wing mirrors
- Halogen headlamps
- Manual airconditioning
- Single-disc AM/FM/CD player, six speakers
- Bluetooth phone and audio streaming
- Six airbags, ABS, ESC, EBD, EBA
- Cruise control/speed limiter
- USB audio input
Active (in addition to above)
- 16-inch alloys
- 7-inch colour touchscreen
- Rain sensing wipers, dusk-sensing headlamps
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror
- Auto up/down power windows
- Reverse parking sensors
- Leather-upholstered steering wheel and parking brake
- Adjustable lumbar support for driver
- Fold-down rear armrest, lidded centre console box
Allure (in addition to above)
- 17-inch alloys (only on diesel and 1.6 petrol)
- Satellite navigation
- LED headlamps
- Front parking sensors
- Electric folding wing mirrors
- Electric parking brake
- Exterior chrome
- Reversing camera (Touring wagon only)
Allure Premium (in addition to above)
- 18-inch alloys
- Radar cruise control, blind spot monitor, anti-collision auto-brake
- Parking assist
- Panoramic glass roof
- On-board music storage hard drive
- Second USB port
- Privacy glass
- Rear view camera
- Front seats with massage function
- Keyless entry and ignition
GT (in addition to above)
- 18-inch alloys
- Dual chrome exhaust tips
- Engine sound amplification
- Red interior stitching
- Specific chassis settings
- Paddle shifters (GT diesel only)
- Alloy pedals and door sills.
NOTE: Overseas model shown. Australian photos still to come.
Pricing (excludes on-road costs)
- 308 Access Hatch - 1.2 petrol manual - $21,990
- 308 Access Hatch - 1.2 petrol auto - $23,990
- 308 Active Hatch - 1.2 petrol auto - $27,340
- 308 Allure Hatch - 1.2 petrol auto - $30,490
- 308 Allure Hatch - 2.0 diesel auto - $34,790
- 308 Allure Touring - 2.0 diesel auto - $37,490
Vehicles due end Q1 2015:
- 308 Allure Hatch 1.6 petrol auto - TBC
- 308 Allure Touring 1.6 petrol auto - TBC
- 308 Allure Premium Hatch 1.6 petrol auto - TBC
- 308 GT Hatch 1.6 petrol manual - TBC
- 308 GT Hatch 2.0 diesel auto - TBC
- Interested in buying PEUGEOT ? Visit our PEUGEOT showroom for more information.