At this week's media drive, local boss Stephen Collins pointed to the Nissan Qashqai and Mazda CX-3 as other major rivals, while declaring a goal of 800 HR-V sales each month.
Mitsubishi's ASX secured 869 sales in January, with the Qashqai close behind on 784. The CX-3 makes its Australian debut next month.
Kicking off from $24,990, the HR-V is offered in three main trim grades: VTi at the entry end, followed by the $27,990 VTi-S and the top-shelf $33,990 VTi-L model.
All are powered by Honda’s 1.8 litre petrol engine, which also features in the Civic range, with power listed at 105kW and 172Nm.
All models are equipped with a CVT automatic transmission from launch, offered in front-wheel-drive form only.
Fuel consumption is listed at "between" 6.6 and 6.9 l/100km, depending on trim grade.
It is believed a manual will join the range later in 2015, while a diesel model is expected to hit Australia sometime in the future.
Suspension is by MacPherson struts at the front, matched to a torsion beam design at the rear.
Features on all models will include LED tail lights, along with Honda’s ‘Magic Seats’ allowing 18 possible folding configurations.
The HR-V will also be the first model to introduce City-Brake Active for Honda in Australia (for the ‘VTi-L + ADAS’ model), which provides an audible alert if a front impact is anticipated, and, if necessary, automatically applies the vehicle’s brakes.
Other safety features available will include Advanced Driver Assist System (ADAS) including Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and High-Beam Support System (HSS).
Honda promises rear storage capacity of 404 litres with the rear seats upright, growing to 1032 litres when laid flat.
Towing capacity is listed at 800kg braked and 500kg unbraked, with a ball-down force tolerance of 70kg.
- Magic Seats
- LED tail-lights
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Multi-angle reversing camera
- Display Audio with 7.0-inch colour touch-screen
- Halogen headlights with Daytime Running Lights
VTI-S (beyond VTi)
- Lane Watch
- City-Brake Active System
- LED auto headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights
- Smart entry with push-button start
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Rain-sensing wipers
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Front fog lights
- Roof rails
VTI-L (beyond VTi-S)
- Leather-appointed seat trim
- 17-inch alloy sports wheels
- Steering wheel paddle shifters
- Dual-zone climate-control
- Chrome door-handles
- Rear centre arm rest
- Panoramic sunroof
- Privacy glass
VTI-L + ADAS (beyond VTi-L)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
- High-Beam Support System (HSS)
PRICING (excludes on-road costs)
- 2015 Honda HR-V VTi - $24,990
- 2015 Honda HR-V VTi-S - $27,990
- 2015 Honda HR-V VTi-L - $32,990
- 2015 Honda HR-V VTi-L with ADAS - $33,990