A new turbocharged flagship model has joined Holden’s updated 2015 Trax range, in the form of the turbocharged LTZ 1.4 iTi.
The upgrade, which also adds other key features, sees the LTZ 1.4 iTi priced at $29,990 - a $1500 premium over the regular $28,490 1.8 LTZ that will still be offered.
Like the 1.8 lite engine, the LTZ’s 1.4 litre turbocharged petrol four produces 103kW - however the turbo engine hits peak power sooner, at 4900rpm compared to 6300rpm with the 1.8 engine.
Torque is also greater with the 1.4 engine, listed at 200Nm at 1850rpm against the 1.8 engine’s 175Nm at 3800rpm.
Matched to a six-speed automatic transmission, the 1.4 turbo lists fuel use at 6.9 l/100km, compared to 7.6 l/100km with the larger non-turbo 1.8 engine.
All Trax variants are front-wheel-drive, and suspension is by MacPherson struts at the front and a compound crank arrangement at the rear.
Holden says the upgraded Trax range also benefits from local suspension and steering tuning for Australian roads, “tailored precisely to meet the needs of Australian drivers”. (Watch for TMR’s coming review for more on this.)
In addition to the new engine, the range-topping Trax LTZ also gets new 18-inch alloy wheels, rain-sensing wipers, a driver’s armrest and a sunroof as standard.
Existing features include Holden’s MyLink infotainment system, along with Descent Control System, Hill Start Assist and Electronic Stability Control incorporating Anti-lock Braking (ABS), Brake Assist (BA), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Traction Control (TC).
The 1.8 litre LTZ and entry LS models continue into the 2015 model year, with the LS available with both the six-speed auto and a five-speed manual.
Fuel economy with the manual-equipped LS drops to 7.0 l/100km, while auto 1.8 models list 7.6 l/100km.
CO2 emissions for the 1.8 LS manual and 1.8 LS/LTZ auto models are listed at 164g/km and 179g/km respectively, dropping to 163g/km with the auto-only LTZ 1.4 iTi.
Holden Trax LS Highlights:
- 1.8 litre petrol engine
- 5-speed manual transmission or optional 6-speed automatic transmission with Active Select
- 6 airbags (driver, front passenger, front side and curtain)
- ESC, ABS and TCS
- Hill Start Assist
- Descent Control System
- 16” alloy wheels (4)
- Air conditioning
- Rear view camera
- Rear parking sensors
- ISOFIX child seat anchorage system
- Holden MyLink infotainment System with 7” colour touch-screen display
- Embedded apps including Pandora®, Stitcher SmartRadio™, TuneIn and BringGo navigation
- Siri® Eyes Free Mode
- AM/FM Radio with RDS display
- USB with iPod connectivity
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Leather steering wheel with audio controls
- Jet black cloth interior
- Auto headlamps
Holden Trax LTZ highlights over LS
- Optional 1.4iTi engine
- New 18” alloy wheels (4)
- New Rain Sensing Wipers
- New Driver Arm Rest
- New Sunroof (available on LTZ 1.4 litre iTi only)
- 6-speed automatic transmission with Active Select
- Jet black Sportec trim
- Heated front seats
- Front Fog Lamps
- Trip Computer
- Storage Tray under front passenger seat
Watch for TMR’s first-drive review of the 2015 Trax this week.
PRICING (excludes on-road costs)
- Trax LS, 1.8 litre manual - $23,990
- Trax LS, 1.8 litre automatic - $26,190
- Trax LTZ, 1.8 litre automatic - $28,490
- Trax LTZ, 1.4 litre iTi automatic - $29,990