Joining the regular A7 and the nearly-as-tough S7, the RS 7 Sportback takes the lead with Audi's twin-turbo 4.0 litre V8 engine.
For the RS 7, that turbo V8 pumps out a stonking big 412kW and 700Nm of torque - well beyond the S7's 309kW and 550Nm figures.
With that under-the-hood headstart, the RS 7 offers a claimed 0-100km/h time of 3.9 seconds, compared to 4.6 seconds for its R-less sibling.
Top speed is listed at 250km/h in its regular form, but opting for the $4900 Dynamic Package will boost that number to 280km/h - while the pricey $25,840 Dynamic Plus option will push it through to 305km/h.
The Dynamic Package also adds enhanced steering and RS Sport suspension with Dynamic Ride Control, while the Plus pack builds on that with ceramic performance brakes.
And, if it somehow matters to any of the RS 7's potential buyers, fuel consumption is rated at a low 9.8 l/100km, thanks in part to the engine's Cylinder On Demand deactivation system.
The RS 7 rides on performance tuned air suspension, lowering the body by as much as 20mm below standard.
Adaptive damping is standard even with that kit, but steel-sprung sports suspension with three-stage adjustable dampers and dynamic ride control is also available.
Braking is managed by massive 390mm vented discs at the front, while the Dynamic Plus pack adds 420mm carbon rotors.
On the styling front, the big four-door performance coupe gets the familiar RS tweaks, including a honeycomb grille and new bumpers at both ends.
Standard features include:
- Adaptive air suspension (Sport)
- LED headlights with high-beam assist
- Digital TV reception with DAB plus, Head-up display (HUD)
- quattro sports differential, RS sports exhaust
- 21-inch alloy wheels in 5 spoke blade design in matt titanium look, high gloss turned finish
- Audi parking system plus with front and rear cameras
- Glass sunroof
- RS sports seats upholstered in Valcona leather and honeycomb stitching
- Matt aluminium styling package including funnel-shaped lower air intake with quattro logo
PRICING (excludes on-road costs)
Available now, the Audi RS 7 Sportback is priced at $238,500.