Renault has sharpened the price of entry into its Megane range, with the Expression model priced from $20,990 plus on-roads.
The updated Megane range also welcomes a new wagon and 'GT-Line' models; the hero being the new GT 220 Sport wagon, entering at the top of the five-door range.
The Megane Expression - now one of the most affordable small Euro hatches in Australia - is powered by a 103kW/195Nm 2.0 litre petrol engine, mated to a CVT auto transmission. Fuel use is listed at 7.8 l/100km.
The Expression gets 16-inch steel wheels and a cloth interior, along with cruise control and six airbags. There's also USB/aux audio, along with Bluetooth handsfree phone and audio streaming.
Renault's 81kW/240Nm 1.5 litre turbodiesel is also available, matched to a six-speed dual-clutch auto - but you'll have to step up to the $28,990 GT-Line hatch for that engine.
The GT-Line can also be had with the 2.0 litre petrol CVT, while the Privilege model again gets both petrol and diesel options.
Features in the GT-Line models include 17-inch alloys, a sports suspension package, LED daytime running lights, auto headlights and wipers.
There's also a RenaultSport interior package with satellite navigation, dual-zone climate control, rear parking sensors, keyless entry and start, and an electronic park brake.
Renault has also introduced a GT-Line Premium pack, with leather trim and heated front seats, parking sensors at the front, reversing camera, lane departure warning, auto high-beam, and a sunroof.
At the top of the main Megane line-up is the Privilege grade, offering most of the GT-Line's features but riding on softer suspension. There's also dark leather trim, air vents in the rear row and a powered driver's seat.
Move to the wagon bodystyle and there's the Dynamique grade, featuring 16-inch alloys and roof rails, LED daytime running lights, dual-zone climate control, Bluetooth and USB, cruise control and six airbags.
Luggage capacity in the Megane wagon is listed at 524 litres with the rear seats up, and 1600 litres when folded flat. There's a maximum load length of 2550mm.
The wagon body also gets the GT-Line trim grade, but ruling the roost is the $36,990 GT 220 Sport model, limited to 220 units for Australia.
Announced earlier this year, the GT 220 is driven by the same 2.0 litre turbo engine that powers the Megane RS, detuned from 195kW to a still tasty 162kW.
The GT 220 is tuned by Renault Sport, but isn't quite at the Megane RS level. It packs a tuned suspension setup, but it lacks the hot hatch's special front diff.
Features for the GT 220 Sport include 18-inch alloy rims wrapped in Dunlop Sport Maxx rubber, a Renault Sport interior package and rear parking sensors.
The 220 also gets Renault's performance-tracking RS Monitor system, but this means it misses out on satellite navigation.
There's a Premium pack available for the GT 220, adding black/white combo leather in the cabin, heated front seats, reversing camera, bi-xenon headlights, auto high-beam and lane departure warning, and a panoramic sunroof.
All of the mainstream Megane models get a five-year unlimited-kilometre warranty, while the GT 220 gets a three-year unlimited-kilometre warranty.
Capped price servicing is available, costing $299 every 15,000 for regular models, and $299 every 10,000km for the GT 220.
Pricing (excludes on-road costs)
- Mégane Hatch Expression Petrol MT - $20,990
- Mégane Hatch Expression Petrol CVT - $22,990
- Mégane Hatch GT-Line Petrol CVT - $26,490
- Mégane Hatch GT-Line Diesel EDC - $28,990
- Mégane Hatch Privilege Petrol CVT - $29,990
- Mégane Hatch GT-Line Premium Pack Petrol CVT - $29,990
- Mégane Hatch Privilege Diesel EDC - $32,490
- Mégane Hatch GT-Line Premium Pack Diesel EDC - $32,490
- Mégane Wagon Dynamique Petrol CVT - $26,490
- Mégane Wagon GT-Line Petrol CVT - $27,990
- Mégane Wagon GT-Line Diesel EDC - $30,490
- Mégane Wagon GT-Line Premium Pack Petrol CVT - $31,490
- Mégane Wagon GT-Line Premium Pack Diesel EDC - $33,990
- Mégane Coupé-Cabriolet Petrol CVT - $36,990
- Mégane Coupé-Cabriolet GT-Line Petrol CVT - $41,990
- Mégane Coupé-Cabriolet Privilege Petrol CVT - $43,990
Mégane GT 220 Sport Wagon
- Mégane GT 220 Sport Wagon - $36,990
- Mégane GT 220 Sport Wagon Premium Pack - $41,990
Megane RS 265 Hatch
- RS 265 Cup - $42,640
- RS 265 Trophy - $47,140
- RS 265 Trophy+ - $51,640
- Interested in buying RENAULT MEGANE? Visit our RENAULT MEGANE showroom for more information.