Kia has announced the Australian release of the all-new 2012 Kia Rio in five-door hatch form, with the sedan and three-door hatch destined for an early 2012 launch.
Leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessor, the new Rio gets a sharpened look from the pen of ex-Audi designer Peter Schreyer, along with Kia's new 1.6 litre petrol engine.
Priced from $16,290 (plus on-roads), the new Rio enters the Kia line-up with a $1300 premium over the outgoing model, topping out at $21,990 for the new range-topping SLi grade.
“Rio is a crucial member of the Kia family,” Kia Motors Australia President and CEO Mr MK Kim said. “As the car that introduced so many Australians to Kia, its role as an ambassador cannot be overstated.
“The new Rio will continue that role, but as the beneficiary of all Kia has learned and refined since the journey began. It will do so with a new level of refinement, a new maturity and a new richness.”
Opening the range is the Rio S, powered by a 1.4 litre MPi petrol engine producing 79kW and 135Nm of torque.
Transmissions for this grade include a six-speed manual transmission and a four-speed auto.
In manual form, fuel consumption is listed at 5.7 l/100km, while the four-speed auto uses 6.3 l/100km.
Moving up to the mid-range Si and top-shelf SLi variants, power is provided by a new direct-injected 1.6 litre petrol engine producing 103kW and 167Nm of torque - up 21kW and 22Nm over the earlier version of the 1.6 litre Gamma engine.
Paired with a six-speed manual transmission, the 1.6 litre engine lists fuel consumption of 5.6 l/100km, while the six-speed auto returns 6.1 l/100km.
Braking is managed by 256mm discs at the front and 262mm discs at the rear for the S and Si models, and 280mm/262mm discs for the top SLi spec.
As with the Optima and Sportage, the Rio gets an Australia-optimised suspension package, with MacPherson struts up front and and a coupled torsion beam axle at the rear. There is also an electric power-assisted steering system.
Standard safety features for the 2012 Rio range include six airbags - front, side and curtain - along with optional projection headlights and static cornering lamps.
Electronic stability control, brake assist, hill-start assist, ABS brakes and electronic brake-force distribution are also standard across the range, forming part of Kia's new Vehicle Stability Management system.
Also standard is Bluetooth, aux, iPod and USB connectivity, all controlled from the steering wheel.
Cruise control is standard for the Si and SLi, along with daytime-running lights, 17-inch alloy wheels, projection front headlights, static cornering lamps and auto light control.
Features in brief:
- Hood insulator
- 6 speed M/T or 4 speed A/T
- 15-inch steel wheel with full wheel cover (185/65 R15 tyre)
- Full size spare
- MDPS (Electric Power Steering)
- Tilt & telescopic steering wheel adjustment
- 6 airbags (dual front, front side & curtain)
- ESC with Rear disc brake
- Vehicle Stability Management with Hill-start Assist Control
- Seatbelt reminders (all positions)
- Body colour outside mirrors and door handles
- Rear spoiler
- Chrome signature grille
- Electric heated outside mirrors
- Folding key fob (x2) with central door lock & immobiliser
- Illuminated glove box
- Driver and passenger vanity mirrors
- Driver and passenger seatback pockets
- 60:40 split rear folding seat
- Centre room lamp & luggage lamp
- Ambient temperature display
- Trip computer (6 function)
- Front wiper – variable intermittent, with aero blade wiper
- Rear wiper (2 speed)
- Driver???s seat height adjustment (pump)
- Manual air conditioning
- Front power & rear windows
- Audio unit (CD, radio & USB/AUX/iPod connectivity) with 4 speakers
- Audio remote controls (steering wheel)
- Bluetooth (remote steering wheel controls)
- Rear cargo covering shelf trim
- Front fender side repeater
- Rheostat (dim function)
Rio Si - S model trim plus:
- Tweeter speakers (6 speakers)
- Electric folding mirror with side repeater
- Leather wrapped steering wheel and TGS knob
- 16-inch alloy wheel with 195/55 R16 Tyre
- Sunvisor illumination & map lamp
- Front fog lamps
- Supervision cluster with dot-matrix display
- Vehicle information options & maintenance
- Active Eco (shift indicator MT / ECO lamp AT)
- Centre console armrest (sliding) / storage
- Soft-touch dash centre fascia finish
- Leather-like door trim insert
- Auto cruise control with steering wheel remote controls
- Metal-look interior accent (steering wheel, centre console & door handles)
Rio SLi – Si model trim plus:
- 17-inch alloy wheel with 205/45 R17 Tyre (Continental)
- Projection front head lamps
- LED Day-time Running Lights
- Static cornering lamps
- LED rear combination lamps
- Auto light control
- Enhanced brake package
- 2012 Kia Rio S - 1.4 litre petrol - six-speed manual - $16,290
- 2012 Kia Rio S - 1.4 litre petrol - four-speed auto - $18,290
- 2012 Kia Rio Si - 1.6 litre petrol - six-speed manual - $18,990
- 2012 Kia Rio Si - 1.6 litre petrol - six-speed auto - $20,990
- 2012 Kia Rio SLi - 1.6 litre petrol - six-speed manual - $19,990
- 2012 Kia Rio SLi - 1.6 litre petrol - six-speed auto - $21,990
Note: all prices are Manufacturer’s List Price and do not include dealer delivery or on-road costs.
- Interested in buying KIA RIO? Visit our KIA RIO showroom for more information.