Kia Australia has announced availability of its all-new Rio light car in Sedan and three-door Hatch form this week, joining the five-door Hatch that hit local showrooms in September last year.
The arrival of the new bodystyles marks the arrival of the new top-shelf SLS trim grade, joining the existing S, Si and SLi.
The price of entry into the Rio range is now also $1000 cheaper, with the three-door S variant starting at $15,290.
As with the five-door, the new three- and four-door models will be available with two engine options, depending on the trim grade.
Opening the range is the Rio S, powered by a 1.4 litre MPi petrol engine producing 79kW and 135Nm of torque. Transmissions for this grade include a six-speed manual transmission and a four-speed auto.
Fuel consumption is listed at 5.7 l/100km in manual form, while the four-speed auto uses 6.3 l/100km.
For the mid-range Si and SLi variants, power is provided by Kia's new direct-injected 1.6 litre petrol engine producing 103kW and 167Nm of torque - up 21kW and 22Nm over the earlier version of the 1.6 litre Gamma engine.
Paired with a six-speed manual transmission, the 1.6 litre engine lists fuel consumption of 5.6 l/100km, while the six-speed auto returns 6.1 l/100km.
Kia claims a 0-100km/h dash for the 1.4 litre engine of 11.5 seconds in manual form, and 13.2 seconds for the four-speed auto. The 1.6 litre engine will sprint to 100km/h in 10.2 second for the manual, and 10.3 seconds with the six-speed auto.
Braking is managed by 256mm discs at the front and 262mm discs at the rear for the S and Si models, and 280mm/262mm discs for the SLi and SLS variants.
As with the Optima and Sportage, the Rio gets an Australia-optimised suspension package, with MacPherson struts up front and a coupled torsion beam axle at the rear. There is also electric power-assisted steering.
The variant split sees the S available in three-door and five-door form only, the Si in sedan and five-door form, the SLi in five-door and the SLS in three-door form only.
Standard safety features include front, side and curtain air bags (six in all), and - in the SLi and SLS - projection headlights and static cornering lamps.
Electronic stability control, brake assist, hill-start assist, ABS brakes and electronic brake-force distribution are also standard across the range, forming part of Kia's new Vehicle Stability Management system.
Also standard is Bluetooth, aux, iPod and USB connectivity, all controlled from the steering wheel. Cruise control is standard for the Si, SLi and SLS.
Rear storage space is listed at 288 litres for both the three- and five-door Hatch (no figures supplied for space with seats folded), and 389 litres for the four-door Sedan.
For all three bodystyles, headroom is listed at 1015mm in the front and 955mm in the rear, legroom is 1112mm front and 790mm rear, and shoulder room is 1350mm front and 1324mm rear.
Features in brief:
- 15-inch steel wheels with full wheel cover (185/65 R15 tyre) and full-size spare
- MDPS (Electric Power Steering), tilt & telescopic steering wheel adjustment
- Body colour outside mirrors and door handles, front fender side repeater
- Rear spoiler (Hatch only), chrome signature grille
- Electric heated outside mirrors
- Folding key fob (x2) with central door lock & immobiliser
- Illuminated glove box
- Driver and passenger vanity mirrors, Driver and passenger seatback pockets
- 60:40 split rear folding seat, rear cargo covering shelf trim (Hatch only)
- Centre room lamp & luggage lamp
- Ambient temperature display, Trip computer (6 function)
- Front wiper – variable intermittent, with aero blade wiper, Rear wiper (2 speed) (Hatch only)
- Driver’s seat height adjustment (pump)
- Manual air conditioning
- Front power & rear windows
- Audio unit (CD, radio & USB/AUX/iPod connectivity) with 4 speakers, audio remote controls (steering wheel), Bluetooth (remote steering wheel controls)
- Rheostat (dim function)
Rio Si - S model trim plus:
- 16-inch alloy wheel with 195/55 R16 Tyre
- Tweeter speakers (6 speakers)
- Electric folding mirror with side repeater
- Leather wrapped steering wheel and TGS knob
- Sunvisor illumination & map lamp
- Front fog lamps
- Supervision cluster with dot-matrix display
- Vehicle information options & maintenance, shift indicator MT / ECO indicator AT)
- Centre console armrest (sliding) / storage
- Soft-touch dash centre fascia finish, leather-like door trim insert
- Auto cruise control with steering wheel remote controls
- Metal-look interior accent (steering wheel, centre console & door handles)
Rio SLi – Si model trim plus:
- 17-inch alloy wheel with 205/45 R17 Tyre (Continental)
- Projection front head lamps, LED Day-time Running Lights, Static cornering lamps, LED rear combination lamps, Auto light control
- Enhanced brake package
Rio SLS – SLi model trim plus:
- Climate control with auto defog
- Rain sensor wipers
- Smart-key entry system with engine start/stop button
- Leather Seats
- Dual chrome exhaust
- S - 1.4 litre six-speed manual - $15,290
- S - 1.4 litre four-speed auto - $17,290
- SLS - 1.6 litre six-speed manual - $19,990
- SLS - 1.6 litre six-speed auto - $21,990
- Si - 1.6 litre six-speed manual - $19,690
- Si - 1.6 litre six-speed auto - $21,690
- Si - 1.6 litre six-speed manual - $18,990
- Si - 1.6 litre six-speed auto - $20,990
- SLi - 1.6 litre six-speed manual - $19,990
- SLi - 1.6 litre six-speed auto - $21,990
Note: all prices are Manufacturer’s List Price and do not include dealer delivery or on-road costs.