FORD EcoLPi FALCON
Ford Australia has announced today that its EcoLPi LPG-powered Falcon will go on sale mid-2011, bringing a significant increase in power and torque over the previous E-Gas LPG system.
Producing 198kW at 5000rpm and 409Nm of torque at 3250rpm - identical to the Falcon's I6 petrol engine on 95 RON - the EcoLPi inline-six brings a 27 percent increase in power and a 10 percent boost in torque over its predecessor.
Fuel consumption certification is still to be completed. Ford Australia says that preliminary testing points to an improvement of around 12 to 15 percent over the E-Gas system.
"The introduction of EcoLPi is the next step in Ford Australia's comprehensive new product offensive, which will see close to 85 per cent of our vehicle line-up all-new or significantly updated over the next 12 months," Bob Graziano, President and CEO of Ford Australia said.
"Improvements in fuel economy, CO2 emissions and cost of ownership have been achieved through a combination of engineering developments, the introduction of a new range of small and light cars, and the expanded availability of alternative fuel vehicles such as diesel and LPG."
One of the EcoLPi engine's standout features is its new injection system which features a high-pressure fuel rail delivering liquid-state LPG directly into the intake port.
The new engine will be available with both Falcon sedan and Ute bodystyles, mated to a ZF six-speed automatic transmission.
For the sedan, this will include the XT, G6, G6E and XR6 variants, while the Ute's EcoLPi models will include the XL, R6 and XR6 in both Cab Chassis and Styleside Box bodystyles.
Technical highlights of the new EcoLPi powertrain include:
- New fuel rail, including injectors, designed and developed specifically for the Ford EcoLPi engine
- New design lightweight pistons, including low-friction ring pack
- Higher compression ratio (12.0:1) to improve engine thermal efficiency and fuel consumption
- New polymer fuel lines with a low thermal mass to keep the LPG fuel liquefied
- New fuel line filter and in-tank filter added to prevent system/component contamination
- Significant modifications to the fuel tank, including all-new internals and sub-level components, as well as a new high-pressure fuel pump
- New catalytic converter – high density brick and new washcoat (common with I6 petrol engine)
- Major calibration and engine management system modifications, including a new fuel priming strategy
- Transmission upgrade to ZF six-speed automatic on all EcoLPi variants
News of the Falcon's new EcoLPi range follows an announcement that Ford's turbocharged four-cylinder EcoBoost engine will join the Falcon line-up in the next 12 months (sometime after the EcoBoost Mondeo's launch in mid-2011).
Ford is also set to launch a facelifted Territory range this week, with the company's 2.7 litre Duratorq TDCi turbodiesel V6 engine debuting in the line-up - the first use of this engine in a Ford model anywhere in the world.
- Interested in buying FORD FALCON? Visit our FORD FALCON showroom for more information.