While the Convertible has so far been revealed in V8 form only, the 6 Series Coupe will be offered from launch in both 650i V8 form and as the 640i in-line six-cylinder model.
Both engines benefit from turbocharging, with the 4.4 litre 650i producing 300kW (up 30kW) and 600Nm of torque, and the 3.0 litre twin-turbo six-cylinder outputting a hefty 235kW (up 35kW) and 450Nm of torque.
Fitted to an eight-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters, the 650i will power to 100km/h in a claimed 4.9 seconds, with the 640i a mere half-second behind at 5.4 seconds. A photo-finish by any measure.
Fuel consumption for the V8 is listed at a respectable 10.4 l/100km, while the six-cylinder is similarly frugal at 7.7 l/100km. The 640i benefits from BMW's auto stop-start and ECO PRO systems.
As with most new models, the new 2+2 seating 6 Series Coupe is larger all-round than its predecessor, measuring 4894mm long, 1369mm tall and 1894mm wide.
Its wheelbase is also 75mm longer, promising greater comfort for rear passengers than the usual 'glorified parcel shelf' of many 2+2 coupes.
Rear storage capacity is 460 litres (on par, for instance, with a typical 'medium' sedan).
Other standard features include electric power steering and Drive Dynamic Control, while optional driving extras include Integral Active Steering, Dynamic Damper Control and Adaptive Drive.
Comfort options include sports seats, active seats, seat ventilation, Nappa leather, ceramic highlights and a Bang & Olufsen surround-sound system.
Local availability of the 2012 6 Series Coupe has yet to be announced. The 650i Convertible is due for an Australian launch later this year however, so the Coupe will not be far behind - potentially launching alongside its soft-top sibling.
BMW 650i Coupe
V8 petrol engine, BMW TwinPower Turbo tech-nology with High Precision Injection direct injection.
- Displacement: 4395cc
- Output: 300 kW/407 hp between 5500 - 6400 rpm
- Torque: 600 Nm at 1,750 - 4500 rpm
- Acceleration: 0–100 km/h: 4.9 seconds
- Top speed: 250 km/h
- Average fuel consumption according to EU standard: 10.4 l/100km
- CO2 emissions according to EU standard: 243g/km
BMW 640i Coupe
Six-cylinder in-line petrol engine, BMW TwinPower Turbo technology with direct-injection High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC.
- Displacement: 2979cc
- Output: 235 kW/320 hp @ 5800rpm
- Torque: 450 Nm between 1300 - 4500rpm
- Acceleration 0–100 km/h: 5.4 seconds
- Top speed: 250 km/h
- Average fuel consumption according to EU standard: 7.7 l/100km
- CO2 emissions according to EU standard: 179g/km
- Interested in buying BMW ? Visit our BMW showroom for more information.